1st March allocation day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
worriedmum2017

1st March allocation day

Post by worriedmum2017 »

Hi Everyone,
With just 2 weeks left we have gone into a panic mode . DCS have started talking about allocation day in school too and I can see DS getting mildly nervous about it . Parents have also started discussing and on one of those discussions I was told that even though a child passes all 3 Sutton schools there are many occasions where they won’t get any place in any of the schools . Is that true ?any one from this group , have you ever faced this or
Do you know anyone personally who have not been allocated any of the schools at all ? Can someone please enlighten me on this ? Sometimes to keep myself positive I am telling myself don’t bother this are Chinese whispers but got told about this by couple of parents last week and hence the panic . We are based in South Croydon and depending on where DS gets allocated to a school , were planning to
Move . I know it’s a very hypothetical question but the nerves got better of us today and hence I posted this post .
Thanks in advance
ToadMum

Re: 1st March allocation day

Post by ToadMum »

worriedmum2017 wrote:Hi Everyone,
With just 2 weeks left we have gone into a panic mode . DCS have started talking about allocation day in school too and I can see DS getting mildly nervous about it . Parents have also started discussing and on one of those discussions I was told that even though a child passes all 3 Sutton schools there are many occasions where they won’t get any place in any of the schools . Is that true ?any one from this group , have you ever faced this or
Do you know anyone personally who have not been allocated any of the schools at all ? Can someone please enlighten me on this ? Sometimes to keep myself positive I am telling myself don’t bother this are Chinese whispers but got told about this by couple of parents last week and hence the panic . We are based in South Croydon and depending on where DS gets allocated to a school , were planning to
Move . I know it’s a very hypothetical question but the nerves got better of us today and hence I posted this post .
Thanks in advance
Places at state schools are allocated strictly according to their published admissions criteria. Presumably you had a look at those for each school you named on your CAF?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
worriedmum2017

Post by worriedmum2017 »

ToadMum wrote:
worriedmum2017 wrote:Hi Everyone,
Thanks in advance
Places at state schools are allocated strictly according to their published admissions criteria. Presumably you had a look at those for each school you named on your CAF?
Thanks for your reply .
I did Toadmum. My son qualified for all the admission criteria . Out of 6 schools to name we had named 5 GS (one being in Kent and realistically it’s named as the last one as a backup but don’t think he has got any fair chance it being named Last ) and 1 local part selective school for which he qualified too . St Olaves is one of them unfortunately that is one school which we will
Never know whether he passed the second level or not ! Just went by the assumption and put it as one of our choices ! We are more dependant on the 3 sutton schools as he qualified for each of them !
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You have no less chance of getting the Kent one because you put it last, the schools don't know where you put them. They are allocated according to the admission criteria. If the top one can't be allocated, the next one become your first choice, and so on.
scary mum
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

It often depends on the oversubscription criteria.

I am not very familiar with Sutton schools and presume you have seen the admissions materials but looking at Sutton Grammar admissions page it says “Please note that, due to over-subscription, meeting the required standard at our entrance tests does not guarantee the offer of a place at the school.” It then lists criteria for PP, LAC, priority postcodes etc so it depends which category your DC falls in and then if they meet the criteria.

St O’s don’t have any distance criteria as you know, so it is just the score.
worriedmum2017

Post by worriedmum2017 »

Thanks everyone for your replies . Seems like agonising 12 more days to go . :-(
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

There was, I think, someone on this forum last year who passed the three Sutton boys GS exams but wasn't offered a place at any of them. It's probably fair to assume that the more schools a child has passed, the better the chance there is that he'll qualify for at least one of them, but it's not guaranteed.
RuedeWakening

Post by RuedeWakening »

I know a fair few children who passed for all Sutton grammars (well boys/girls at least!) and were not offered any of them on allocation day. A few got a place off the waiting list subsequently. We are in Sutton though so it's fairly common as a highish number of kids take the exams to try and keep their options open.

I've already told DD I will be taking her phone off her next Thursday, so she won't get messages from friends about allocations etc. Time enough for that madness on Friday at school, I think!
2tinkers

Post by 2tinkers »

[quote="RuedeWakening"]I know a fair few children who passed for all Sutton grammars (well boys/girls at least!) and were not offered any of them on allocation day. A few got a place off the waiting list subsequently. We are in Sutton though so it's fairly common as a highish number of kids take the exams to try and keep their options open.

OMG. I wish i could just sleep for the next 9.5 days.
The prospect of being in that situation horrifies me.
worriedmum2017

Post by worriedmum2017 »

RuedeWakening wrote:I know a fair few children who passed for all Sutton grammars (well boys/girls at least!) and were not offered any of them on allocation day. A few got a place off the waiting list subsequently. We are in Sutton though so it's fairly common as a highish number of kids take the exams to try and keep their options open.

I've already told DD I will be taking her phone off her next Thursday, so she won't get messages from friends about allocations etc. Time enough for that madness on Friday at school, I think!

That is indeed very scary ..
I can imagine myself having sleepless nights now until the results are out !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now