1st March allocation day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

streathammum

Re: 1st March allocation day

Post by streathammum »

It is a harder wait for the boys as they don't know their scores - the girls schools do give out scores I think, so they have a better idea of how likely they are to get a place.

Best of luck for offer day. Not long to wait now.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

streathammum wrote:It is a harder wait for the boys as they don't know their scores - the girls schools do give out scores I think, so they have a better idea of how likely they are to get a place.

Best of luck for offer day. Not long to wait now.
Did the member who was going to work out ?people's DC's rankings ever come back to the forum?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Perhaps waiting for 1st March to disclose her rankings. :wink:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tiffinboys wrote:Perhaps waiting for 1st March to disclose her rankings. :wink:
'Such cynicism, from one so young' :shock:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

worriedmum2017 wrote:Thanks everyone for your replies . Seems like agonising 12 more days to go . :-(
Chill out and try not to count down the days, you might not find out until after 5pm on March 1st
And if you don't get first choice, you may be waiting another 4 weeks before you get any clarity on a waiting list position, so possibility you wont have final certainty on that date anyway

Assume any explanation / confirmation will be in the post which will arrive Saturday 3rd. The email can be rather light on detail
stateschoolman

Post by stateschoolman »

Another, not so related question : If schools over offer on allocation day (i.e. they offer more places than PAN), then technically can they withdraw an offers in the event too many accept? and on what conditions ? (deadline date, late acceptors, score? )

Highly hypothetical..but possible. (and yes I am killing time..)
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I think Wilsons and Sutton Grammar School both over-offered this year. I don't think either school withdrew any offers.

I know that Sutton GS eventually made offers to its waiting list (my DS got a waiting list place) but I don't know about Wilsons. Somewhere on another thread it was suggested that they did not get as many declines as they'd expected and so ended up with slightly more boys than PAN, but I don't recall anyone suggesting that offers were withdrawn from boys who'd accepted.

It would be highly unethical for a school to make an offer to a child then withdraw it in, say, late August when it realised it would have more starters than expected. By that stage, there would be few options open to the child - all other waiting list places would be filled by then, induction days would have been held, uniforms bought, the appeal deadline would have passed. It's unimaginable.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I don’t think that state schools could withdraw offer of place, unless obtained fraudulently.

If any state school over-offer, they are taking calculated risk.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

stateschoolman wrote:Another, not so related question : If schools over offer on allocation day (i.e. they offer more places than PAN), then technically can they withdraw an offers in the event too many accept? and on what conditions ? (deadline date, late acceptors, score? )

Highly hypothetical..but possible. (and yes I am killing time..)
no can't withdraw a valid offer
but can withdraw any offer found to be fraudulent (using a relatives address etc)

Schools will be cautious with over offers, something limit it to something like a third of the historic decline rate
going over PAN would cause massive problems (practical issues like 31 in a classroom with 30 desks, and problems with getting funded for the extra)

I think one school had opposite happen one year, so many opted to go elsewhere, there was less remaining with offers than originally passed the test, so had to scrabble about trying to fill the places. Stories of people being phoned to see if they were still interested.
timeflies

Post by timeflies »

Thinking of everyone this week
I dont have anyone waiting this year, but a friend is panicking that the internet wont work and the postman will be stuck in the snow !!
Good luck