Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:36 pm 

My son also passed Wallington only but failed SGS and Wilson. His SGS score was 255. I’m also struggling to work out what his Wallington score is!

We have the results from his first exams (the ones WCG look at) of 85.16 and 82.66 which I am presuming is his percentage (?), in which case it looks like he did quite well with an average of 84%, but if I combine them together then this gives an overall score of 168, which doesn’t look like it will be good enough to pass! I guess it all depends on what this was marked out of.

Can parents who have children who have got into WCG in the past but didn’t pass SCG and so got their scores, shine some light on our chances?

It would also be great to hear if it is ever the case that someone passes WCG and gets offered a place there even if they didn’t pass the two other schools (ie if in reality it’s only the top scoring kids who also pass Wilson’s and SGS who get into WCG).

WCG was our first choice and we don’t know whether to get our hopes up or not!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:52 pm 

Mummy in CJ wrote:
My son also passed Wallington only but failed SGS and Wilson. His SGS score was 255. I’m also struggling to work out what his Wallington score is!

We have the results from his first exams (the ones WCG look at) of 85.16 and 82.66 which I am presuming is his percentage (?), in which case it looks like he did quite well with an average of 84%, but if I combine them together then this gives an overall score of 168, which doesn’t look like it will be good enough to pass! I guess it all depends on what this was marked out of.

Can parents who have children who have got into WCG in the past but didn’t pass SCG and so got their scores, shine some light on our chances?

It would also be great to hear if it is ever the case that someone passes WCG and gets offered a place there even if they didn’t pass the two other schools (ie if in reality it’s only the top scoring kids who also pass Wilson’s and SGS who get into WCG).

WCG was our first choice and we don’t know whether to get our hopes up or not!

Was that the SET score given by SGS after the second stage exam? If so, that isn’t the percentage; it’s how your son’s performance in the SET compared to all the other boys who sat the second stage, with 100 being the average for each exam. On the previous page, somebody said last year a boy with a score of 165 got an offer via the waiting list around April.
The reason it is so different from the WCGS pass mark is that one is produced in relation to all who took the first exam; the marks you’ve been given (if you’re talking about the ones I think you are) is when your son is compared to all the boys who passed. I hope that makes sense!