No toilet break provided at SET

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Upset Dad

Re: No toilet break provided at SET

Post by Upset Dad »

Thats great to hear.. Thanks for your inputs.
Hmmm

Post by Hmmm »

As long as I remember, last year we'd got an email from SET Administrator (not Wally Girls) with all info needed - what girls can take with them, in what kind of bag, was asked to park with consideration to neighbours (there are no pay parking in that area, just side streets and garden centre). All communications (even after the school place was offered) were from SET Administrator and GLT Admission, which runs both school - Nonsuch and Wally Girls. And yes, last year conditions were also tough for children (cold and wet, thanks God my DD did not want to go to toilet as I tried not to give her much to drink before exam, she instead was eating her apple during the break). COVID times are tough for everyone. My son was sitting early Maths GCSE last school year and having horrible hayfever fit - snizzing and crying through all the exam,not fair, but that's a life, such things can happen) So far my DD likes Wally girls a lot, hope your DD will pass SET and can choose school she likes.
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

Hmmm- I remember last year this time being so stressed about the whole 11+, dd was so disappointed when the SET date was moved and completely lost her mojo. Thank goodness we got through it, but covid certainly threw a few spanners in the works!

Both of my dds sat their SETs at Nonsuch and neither had a particularly positive experience (as mentioned in my previous post- errors in test paper, freezing test conditions). It never even crossed my mind to judge Nonsuch as a school based on the SET experiences and thankfully I didn't as dd1 is very happy there. Based on this information request, sounds like things didn't run smoothly for everyone at Nonsuch SET this year either: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1203188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

I think we all, understandably, want the conditions to be perfect for our child, but often things don’t affect them as much as we worry they will. When my DS took the test, I was annoyed because he did it at the only school that doesn’t give their pupils the day off, and he said he was distracted by breaktime noise. He passed so I thought no more of it. Then later, I requested his SET results when I was preparing DD, just to have more of an idea for her, and he scored in the top 2%, so it obviously didn’t affect him.
Also, and hopefully this isn’t considered information to keep under wraps, as it’s out there enough already, almost every single child finished the English that early this year, so it doesn’t sound like she rushed it. Hopefully Tuesday will come quickly to put us out of our misery. :)
Upset Dad

Post by Upset Dad »

Oneoftwothings wrote:often things don’t affect them as much as we worry they will
Thanks. You might well be right.. as my DD assures me that it didn't affect her. Pre-empting I would ask her why she ended her paper early, she says "thats why I finished only 10 minutes early, not 15".

I guess I am just livid with the incident. Its not so much about getting compensatory marks in return or a retest opportunity under better conditions - but just the couldn't-care-less attitude I perceive, is very different from the environment she is accustomed to at her junior school.
head_space27

Post by head_space27 »

For what it's worth, I think this is an awful way to treat children or anyone in fact, particularly during such a stressful time that's so far out of their comfort zone - unfamiliar surroundings/ nerves etc. I'm not from your area but it was a very real fear for my daughter when she sat the 11 plus that she wouldn't have toilet breaks (she suffers from a very sensitive bladder). There is no way she would have managed 2 - 3 hours and would have almost certainly had an accident. We spent ages reassuring her beforehand that of course the nice teachers would take her to the toilet regularly and not to worry (which btw they did, before the first test and then again in the middle break and yet again at the end). I think you should absolutely complain and raise it as an issue. I don't see this as you being precious or wanting things to be "ideal" btw, it's a basic human need, especially as it was an option afforded to other children and not to yours. I'm upset for you and sorry it happened to your daughter, although she sounds very resilient.

All the best.
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

When registering for the SET you can highlight any health concerns, such as sensitive bladder, so that the SET team are aware. My dd1 suffers from a gastrointestinal problem which sometimes flares up when under stress, I highlighted this to the SET team and she was seated closest to the door and the invigilator checked in on her before the test. Thankfully she didn't have a flare up on the day.
Upset Dad

Post by Upset Dad »

head_space27 wrote:I'm upset for you and sorry it happened to your daughter, although she sounds very resilient.
Thanks for your concern. Much appreciated.. What irks me most is that this wasn't a mistake - someone who was consciously organizing rows to go into toilets, chose to defer to the 'bell' or whatever - rather than being even handed.. Overall, my DD went to the toilet at around 1230 after using them at 0740 or so in the house. She did have an opportunity to go before the first paper started but she didn't need to - so she didn't.

I really hope this is a one-off and not a sign of things to come.. But in my worldly experience, the way people do one thing is the way they do everything.. Yes, I have complained to the SET Administrator. We will see how they respond. The silver lining is that, as a family, we are starting to care less about the outcome of the SET - and an unempathetic response / no response will be the final straw.
Upset Dad

Post by Upset Dad »

FWIW, GLT Admissions did reply back to me today. The response was considered and from what they say, I can see the picture of what might have happened that led to the situation. They also seem to record incidents such as when a child requests to use toilets - found that assuring. No hard feelings against the school on this matter, any more.. and I am sure this will give my DD some completion in case she is invited back to the same venue for her second stage. Thanks to all who helped me with guidance on the thread.
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

Upset Dad wrote:FWIW, GLT Admissions did reply back to me today. The response was considered and from what they say, I can see the picture of what might have happened that led to the situation. They also seem to record incidents such as when a child requests to use toilets - found that assuring. No hard feelings against the school on this matter, any more.. and I am sure this will give my DD some completion in case she is invited back to the same venue for her second stage. Thanks to all who helped me with guidance on the thread.
Glad to hear that the response has provided you with a sense of closure.
Good luck with Stage 2!