Bromley to Wilsons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jsparkle

Bromley to Wilsons

Post by jsparkle »

Hello, does anyone know if there’s a coach that goes from Wilson’s school to Bromley?
Moon unit

Re: Bromley to Wilsons

Post by Moon unit »

No coaches to Wilson’s
No catchment and loads of after school stuff.
Just wouldn’t work.
Pupils come from a huge area.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

It's also a walkable distance from train stations and near several bus routes. There's no need for private coaches.
tfp_sa

Post by tfp_sa »

no, and with good reason, it's just that bit too far, especially to travel from an area with its own selective schools.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tfp_sa wrote:no, and with good reason, it's just that bit too far, especially to travel from an area with its own selective schools.
Given that St.Olaves similarly has no catchment area, presumably it is just out-cacheted by Wilson's?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tfp_sa

Post by tfp_sa »

ToadMum wrote:
tfp_sa wrote:no, and with good reason, it's just that bit too far, especially to travel from an area with its own selective schools.
Given that St.Olaves similarly has no catchment area, presumably it is just out-cacheted by Wilson's?
Maybe in a few [very] deluded minds. In the most recent published 'attainment 8' ratings, St O outperformed W by a whole 0.1 percentage points, i.e. they got virtually identical scores.

To my mind, the additional each-way travel time that it's worth subjecting an 11*-year old to in order to get them into a selective state school over a comp is something like, what, 40 minutes or so absolute tops, I suppose maybe + or - 10 or so minutes if the local comp option is particular good/bad or if the faroff selective option is particularly good/bad.

The additional travel time that it's worth subjecting an 11 year old to in order to get them into a particular selective state school over another state selective school cannot IMO be more than say, what, 15 minutes tops, regardless of the circumstances.

* - or 12, 13, 14, or 15-18 etc yr old.
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

How far is too far (school to home distance)?

If the child does not walk/cycle to school, you need to have at least 3 routes of getting to school. Over the next 7 or so years, there is bound to be some road-work along your usual route, which re-routes another 300 or so school traffic every morning and evening. (from experience).

Your child is growing to be an adult, and socialization takes a different meaning - and will always involve school friends. If distance comes in way of getting together with school friends, your child has just lost a valuable growing opportunity.

If you are driving your child to school (and pick up), it immediately involves 2 persons in the household with a chaotic start to their day. And it starts with the annoying 6:00 am alarm.

After school activities and clubs - distance could be a reason why your child might not get the most out of secondary school experience.

A super competitive secondary school child has at least 3 hours of home-work/additional learning every day - at home. Would you want your child to switch from travel mode - after an entire day at school - to learning mode, with no time to breathe?

It would be wise to consider the child's wellbeing, more than anything else. Also, it is important to note that 50% of all Oxbridge students finish at bottom half of their class.
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)