Greenshaw

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

streathammum

Re: Greenshaw

Post by streathammum »

Just because you qualify for Greenshaw doesn't mean you have to apply for a place there. If you don't like it, don't apply, but it's a bit off to be telling other people they can't apply there because you don't think it's worth the journey (especially when you think the same journey would be OK if the school is a grammar).

I'm not sure you do actually think Greenshaw is a 'lovely school' otherwise you would be willing to travel to it.
Stanton

Post by Stanton »

I agree with Streatham. This process for Greenshaw benefits something like 60 children and their families each year - but you don't like it because it doesn't benefit you! Surely you can just ignore it if it's of no interest to you rather than criticise a process which has no bearing on your outcome.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I’ve lived in the area for 20 years.
As far as I’m aware Greenshaw has always had selective places.
Years ago Sutton Grammar and Greenshaw had the same exam.
A few years ago Sutton moved to a SET and second stage because the numbers sitting tests was unmanageable for the schools.
Greenshaw is in the SET for people who want to apply.
No one has to.
It’s really tough when a child who has worked hard doesn’t get through to the second stage.
It’s hard when they get through to the second stage and don’t get a place.
Anyone who sits their children for these exams needs to accept they might not get in.
There are surprises both ways every year.
I hope you have other options where your son will be happy.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Is it not that the 60 or whatever the number is highest scoring applicants above the pass mark (that is, those who name the school on their CAF), for whom Greenshaw is the highest effective preference, will actually fill the available selective places at the school? People seem to be under the impression that being told that their DC has met the standard for a selective place at Greenshaw means that s/he is in the top 60 and therefore the school won't have 60 selective places filled because it is 'passing' exam candidates from miles away whose parents have no interest in the school?

(The Greenshaw website states:

Greenshaw High School uses the outcome of the Selective Eligibility Test to determine those children who may be eligible to be considered for one of their 60 ability places. )

Isn't the fact that the SET is used by the grammar schools and Greenshaw (for its selective places) mentioned in the original info about the SET? Does it really come as a totally confusing surprise when the school is mentioned when you get your results?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Yes, it's very clear that the SET is used by Greenshaw as well as the grammars. However, I guess the parents who are shopping around the entire home counties for Any Grammar might not have noticed.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now