Tiffin's and Barnett Stage 2 clash

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dad2021

Tiffin's and Barnett Stage 2 clash

Post by dad2021 »

My dd has a clash of time and date between Tiffin's stage 1 and Barnett Stage 2 test scheduled on 1st Oct. I called both the schools to help in rescheduling and i have not received any help and have been asked to choose the one you give priority and appear for that exam as they can't change the slot.
Appreciate if someone can provide some guidance on this.
scary mum

Re: Tiffin's and Barnett Stage 2 clash

Post by scary mum »

I'm not sure there's anything else you can do. They don't really expect people to be taking tests on opposite sides of London.
I suggest you chose your most local one & go with that so you don't have to move or have a horrendous journey.
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would go for HBS stage two. With only 300 left in the race your chance of a place there is a lot higher. DG
no_stress

Post by no_stress »

I would go by location, unless you are planning to move closer to whichever school you get into. In that case, based on probabilities, I actually think it is harder to get an HBS place. There are only 300 in the second round but they have only 100 places. Tiffin has 180 places and there are far more people in that area who might be considering other grammar schools etc.. Just based on the kids I know who have gotten through at one or the other, I would definitely say HBS is more competitive. But if you are in the designated area for TGS, you must be very far away from HBS, or you are close to HBS in which case you cannot be allocated a TGS place as you will be outside the designated area.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Daogroupie wrote:I would go for HBS stage two. With only 300 left in the race your chance of a place there is a lot higher. DG
Not true.

To assess it properly, look at the data for each school, specifically numbers for stage two vs PAN (i.e. Y7 spaces).
HBS has 300 contenders for the second test (and not all will turn up…) for 100 places.
TGS tests about 450-460 (data for the last three years is published here) for 180 places.

Therefore, using basic maths, the odds - once you‘ve been called to the second test - are better at TGS.

Pay attention to the detailed determined admissions criteria at both schools.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

To the original question, your criteria for choosing between the schools should be:
- whether your address is in the designated area for TGS (if not, forget it, decision made)
- whether your address is in the designated area for HBS (if yes, that would give you an advantage)
- from your address, which of the (other?) schools you are interested in AND for which you meet the admission criteria has the easiest and shortest commute (public transport options are beneficial because they allow flexibility).
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

If you are not in TGS designated area and cant name TGS in CAF, TGS wont mark Stage 2 paper. Again with HBS, even with Stage 2 preference will be given within the area designated in their policy.

But if you can really name both of them in CAF aand satisfy both school admission policies but distressed regarding the clash of dates, just exercise your health grounds for extreme mental distress and they have to give you a reserve day. You would need to comply with their reserve day guidelines of GP certificate etc. so upto you to convince GP for extreme anxiety/ mental health distress and dont attempt either one. Go for reserve day for both. Highly unlikely reserve days will clash.

I am amazed how either of them can force you to choose at this stage when reserve days exist. Its your right to select a school and schools cant dictate your choice at this stage or even in CAF. Infact the very aspect they asked you to choose one over other contributes to your mental distress.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

There is nothing to prevent anyone from naming any school on their CAF. Whether they can be offered a place or not, depends on how their application is ranked according to an individual school's admissions policy.

There is no mention in the TGS policy of the school not marking either or both of the Stage 2 papers of candidates who do not live within the Designated Area.
https://www.tiffingirls.org/getattachme ... 1.pdf.aspx
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

There is an advisory in the policy for designated area. The FAQ document page 5 states clearly that they will not mark any paper of any girl who has not applied to the school

https://www.tiffingirls.org/getattachme ... ).pdf.aspx

The only way school can know this is after 31st Oct hence Stage 2 marking depends on school being mentioned in CAF. Precisely the reason why Stage 2 is being helf after CAF deadline. Hence you can get past the Stage 1 sifting but Stage 2 wont be marked if not in CAF

Yes for sure someone outside designated area can apply in CAF but based on admission policy places will be first allocated to inner area and designated area. After allocations to inner and designated areas are complete, remaining spaces are allocated to applicants outside designated area. As they say clearly that since 2014 all places are taken up within designated area due to heavy oversubscription.
So including the school in CAF for marking of Stage 2 is absolutely essential and very much documented admission policy. Including in CAF when outside designated area is pointless.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

There is a difference between the school only making the second round papers of those who have made a valid application to the school (within top x, named school on CAF and turned up for second stage test) and not marking the papers of those in a specific oversubscription category who have made a valid application because historically, no-one in that category has been offered a place. If nothing else, the lowest criterion applicants have to be ranked for waiting list purposes.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now