Year 13 entry requirements

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
GlynisTally

Year 13 entry requirements

Post by GlynisTally »

Does anyone know the current entry requirements for year 13, ie the year 12 AS level results need.
To avoid having to redo year 12 or leave the school?

For Wilsons, Sutton and Wallington Grammar schools.

Thanks..

Looks like it was 3C's at Wilsons in 2019.

https://inews.co.uk/news/education/dama ... ave-343993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://inews.co.uk/news/education/lond ... -12-342389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by GlynisTally on Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Year 13 entry requirements

Post by PettswoodFiona »

There shouldn’t be off rolling half way through sixth form, another grammar tried to do this (St Olaves) a few years ago and parents threatened judicial review etc. there was a major investigation and it was deemed wrong for the school to deny progression to Y13 for any pupil based on performance. Only a major behaviour issue or safeguarding etc would be valid reasons to exclude.

Y11 to sixth form is different as that is a regular point of admission, but not half way through sixth form.
GlynisTally

Post by GlynisTally »

Just because something is not legal or right, doesn't mean it doesn't happen all the time.
Or that they come up with ways to do it legally, eg limit you to 2A levels
see:-
https://www.simpsonmillar.co.uk/media/y ... m-results/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm just interested in comparing the grammar schools pass marks for year 13 rather than debate the practice

St Olaves was 3B's in the 2017 case that parents fought, Wilsons was 3C's in 2019 news?
So what are Sutton and Wallington year 13 entry?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Well, here's Wilson's:

Transition Arrangements  Our students have high aspirations and inevitably the very best academic institutions and employers have high expectations. Obtaining at least CCC at AS is an indication that our students have a good understanding of the A level content and that as a result they are likely to reach their potential.
If a student‟s AS results are below this level, they will be offered the opportunity to re-sit Year 12. This will enable them to have a second chance at achieving their potential.
 Special entry requirements for Further Mathematics: Students will be permitted to continue their study of Further Mathematics on the basis of internal assessment. The school has the final say about whether Further Mathematics is to be pursued or not and in so doing will take into account progress across the curriculum.

https://www.wilsons.school/resources/Si ... -2020).pdf

Sutton Grammar School doesn't appear to enter students for AS, ditto WCGS.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

No one in my sons year had any problem with this rule at Wilson’s.
The handful it applied to were happy to redo the year.
Sometimes year 12 just doesn’t go well.
GlynisTally

Post by GlynisTally »

fine if you get 3 D's retake the year for free, it is useful.

But if you got AAD. Then how is retaking the year for those subjects you got an A in helpful, having done this myself due to dropping Further Maths thanks to Couse overlap in year 13. i know its very boring repeating subjects you already got an A in.

So boring, i ended up getting a B in the real A level a year later, as hadn't be stretched all year due to repeating topics.

Far better would be to switch topic or get extra tutorage for the subject you got a D in, and continue with the others.

AAD still gets you into a lot of universities. and pulling it up to AAC without retaking the year would be fine IMHO
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

GlynisTally wrote:fine if you get 3 D's retake the year for free, it is useful.

But if you got AAD. Then how is retaking the year for those subjects you got an A in helpful, having done this myself due to dropping Further Maths thanks to Couse overlap in year 13. i know its very boring repeating subjects you already got an A in.

So boring, i ended up getting a B in the real A level a year later, as hadn't be stretched all year due to repeating topics.

Far better would be to switch topic or get extra tutorage for the subject you got a D in, and continue with the others.

AAD still gets you into a lot of universities. and pulling it up to AAC without retaking the year would be fine IMHO
If tutoring outside of school would be the answer in that scenario, surely a) you would have some idea before getting to the AS exam / Assessed Grade stage that the D subject was not your strongest and b) you would think about tutoring earlier in year 12 (having exhausted any extra help on offer via the school first)?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now