Urgent! Sutton Grammar Wallington Grammar Schools Admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Maged

Urgent! Sutton Grammar Wallington Grammar Schools Admissions

Post by Maged »

My Son has not made it into Wilson Grammar School; accordingly, he was not one of the best 614 out of 1043. (missed by 7 marks in the total)

He has been offered a place in Sutton Grammar School; accordingly, he was one of the best 861 out of 1043.

We live in Sutton where Sutton Grammar offers 75 places and Wallington Grammar offers 15 places.

I am a bit afraid if I put Sutton before Wallington in the school choices, I neither get Sutton or Wallington?

And it would have been better if I chose Wallington first as would have a better chance in Wallington?

Anybody was number 750ish and could advise if that was good enough to secure a place in Sutton Grammar?

Your Urgent advice is greatly appreciated.
hermanmunster

Re: Urgent! Sutton Grammar Wallington Grammar Schools Admiss

Post by hermanmunster »

Maged - welcome to the forum!

First of all NO-ONE has been offered a place yet that all happens in March

Please put the schools on the CAF in the order you really want them - if you don't get a place at school (1) then school (2) becomes your first choice and will not adversely affect your chances of getting a place there

Putting a school higher up the list does NOT increase your chances, you will be given a place at the highest school on your list who can offer you a place
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

Your CAF order only determines which ONE school you get offered - if you get multiple acceptances. You CAF order DOES NOT determine whether you get acceptance. You get acceptance based on (1) is the school listed in your CAF, and (2) do you meet the qualifying criteria for that school at the time of consideration by school. This second condition boundaries/cutoffs becomes slightly fluid (not very much, just so slight) once waiting list kicks in after Mar 1, 2022.

If there are multiple acceptances, you get offered the HIGHEST order school in your CAF.

And there is the Waiting List, which is a topic of its own.
Last edited by 2020D2022S on Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
Maged

Post by Maged »

Thanks for mentioning this "Your CAF order does NOT determine whether you get acceptance" accordingly if I put Wallington second and Sutton first and he misses Sutton that would not reduce his chances in Wallington, correct?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Maged wrote:Thanks for mentioning this "Your CAF order does NOT determine whether you get acceptance" accordingly if I put Wallington second and Sutton first and he misses Sutton that would not reduce his chances in Wallington, correct?
That is absolutely right :D
Maged

Post by Maged »

Thanks so much, so the last question, does anyone know roughly, how many of the 1,043 actually want to go to these 3 schools and what % will decline?
GlynisTally

Post by GlynisTally »

Suttons has a published wait list, on their website..

That will show you how many didn't make Sutton. and FOI request mention 75 on Wallington wait list.

As you have failed Wilsons, i believe you will have been mailed scores, and so you can work out where you are in the rank due to the normalization of the scores. Feel free to post the figures, or PM me and I'll try to estimate for you.
Maged

Post by Maged »

Minimum threshold Your son's score
Second stage English 181 152
Second stage Maths 166 218
Overall Entrance Examination score* 475 468

Please feel free to advise

Thanks a lot in advance
sinead8422

Post by sinead8422 »

My son also only got Sutton and not Wilson's. His score for the English was 219 and maths 161. Total score 480. Is it possible to work out his ranking roughly for Sutton?
GlynisTally

Post by GlynisTally »

468 - 152 - 218 = 98 in SET

98 Normal distrbuation = 0.447

Assume 1000 took stage2, assume same 1000 are also the exact amount eligible for wallington (hence this is estimate)

Rank = 553/1000 So pretty good chance of getting it.

Sutton Score = 284.10 Which looks good too as beats 8 people that got in based on below but might be via waitlist rather than March 1st.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1715608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone able to check my maths?