Sutton girls stage 2-English&maths scores vs standardardised

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Samurai

Re: Sutton girls stage 2-English&maths scores vs standardard

Post by Samurai »

Upset Dad wrote:
Swlondonmum wrote:My daughter didn’t meet expected standard for English on the 2nd stage so I understand the 2 scores she got are standardised. Her English score (the one she failed) appears incredibly low and I’m very confused given she an adequate writer and was happy with the 2+ pages she wrote at the exam?
1. If allowed for by the schools, apply for remarking. This was certainly allowed in the previous years with a very short timescale to apply for it and to pay the fee in cash. Given the subjective nature of Stage 2, it will be looked at by another examiner. This is hearsay from another FB forum, but in the last year or one before, 45 people applied for revaluation in in English of which 27 had their marks changed, of which 6 were deemed pass.
Does GLT offer remarking or offered in recent years? Which FB forum is this one ? I think they dont but maybe wrong. Step 2 appeals- do they publish stats of successful appeals. Havent come across recently in the usual FOI sites
summer21

Post by summer21 »

I know fwe years ago you could ask for recheck for £30 per paper. Ring up the admissions office alternatively send them an email and they should be able to give you a definite answer.
I read somewhere that a girl got her english recheck few years back and then was found Deemed to apply for both Wally Girls and Non such school and now she is in one of them. So definately worth a try.

Hope it helps
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

Ok. Doesnt say in the published policy . Anyways I guess its worth a try for SwLondonmum ringing the school. A variation of 60+ at second stage looks loke an anomaly. Infact this year the stats are a bit anomalous. I dont remember if someone posted the SET standardized cutoff but worth giving a statistics check by mixing SET and NWSSEE on the High, Low and outcome. I guess ranks will get difficult to predict. Assuming cutoff for NWSSEE is 75 so anyone with a variation of 60- 70 can score 199 -200 just in second stage and still not get through. Adding on top a high SET can mean the person is in Top 80 and still not getting selected
Upset Dad

Post by Upset Dad »

Upset Dad wrote:Does GLT offer remarking or offered in recent years?
This is what I recall reading
http://www.nonsuchschool.org/105/announ ... nouncement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not sure if currently offered.
Upset Dad wrote:Which FB forum is this one ?
Sorry I will struggle to find it.. But this was only posted in the last 2-3 days as a reply on one thread in one of the groups I am subscribed to. As I said, its hearsay.
Swlondonmum

Post by Swlondonmum »

Samurai, upset dad, summer21, wry grateful for your thoughts and ideas!

School hasn’t responded to the calls at all but did return an email, suggesting there is no re-marking service and that I should appeal after national offer day. No sympathy clearly…
Given DD passed the Set and the minimum score there (I believe) was around 216, that automatically means she would have a standardised score of at least 108 on 1st exam. Her maths stage 2 is strong (above average) and the minimum total standardised score this year is rather low (217). So certainly good chances to be well above the 217 if there was an error in the English marking… but given we’re OOC, I wouldn’t probably bother any further:(
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

I think 216 was for the boys. The girls is usually around 205 (more boys sit the exam so higher standardised score to get the 1,000 odd for the second stage).

Looking at the 2020 scores distribution, there were only a couple of scores between the lowest of 222 and 242 - could these have been PP and if so, this year too? I’m not sure whether they actually add the 10% leeway to the scores or just pass with a score 10% lower than others. So if the threshold for each in second exam was 70, they would only need 63. And if the SET pass mark was 203, they would only need 183. 91 + 63 + 63 = 217. Does anybody know? If so, the pass mark would be around 242 still, if not PP.

Back to the OP, I can certainly understand wanting to check there hasn’t been an error if it doesn’t ring true.
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

Swlondonmum wrote:Samurai, upset dad, summer21, wry grateful for your thoughts and ideas!

School hasn’t responded to the calls at all but did return an email, suggesting there is no re-marking service and that I should appeal after national offer day. No sympathy clearly…
Given DD passed the Set and the minimum score there (I believe) was around 216, that automatically means she would have a standardised score of at least 108 on 1st exam. Her maths stage 2 is strong (above average) and the minimum total standardised score this year is rather low (217). So certainly good chances to be well above the 217 if there was an error in the English marking… but given we’re OOC, I wouldn’t probably bother any further:(
There indeed seems to be anomaly in English scores this year. Wide variations exist and you are not the only one as I have heard another case. This is hearsay so no evidence but seems there were 2 patterns of the English creative writing this year - exact same topic but one variation in future tense and one variation to be written in past tense as a recount. Absolutely no idea if this is true or not - maybe forum members can comment without divulging topic if there were indeed 2 variations of same topic and randomly provided to the candidates. My DD insists it was a piece where the situation was set to happen in the future and not a recount. But seems some insist that they were given a "recount" variation of the same topic . Cant divulge the topic here but if this is true then probability of human error in marking is high and that can get reflected in wide unexplained ranges not only for ranks of people who passed but also people who missed. An appeal may not be lost cause after all if there is anomaly. Choice is of course yours as one can never be sure about appeal outcomes.
nervymum1

Re: Sutton girls stage 2-English&maths scores vs standardardised

Post by nervymum1 »

Hi,

Looking for help does anybody know of any update on this thread I.e. if the scores were rechecked ? My DD missed English by 1 mark which is shocking as she’s quite good at writing and was confident on her piece of writing task. She scored very well in Maths.

Can anyone please help guide if they recheck for 1 mark?

Thank you !
Swlondonmum

Post by Swlondonmum »

Hi, no update really .. the school was absolutely firm they wouldn’t do any rechecking at all and the only way to dispute that was going to be via appeal from April onwards.
This really put us off and luckily our DD was accepted in her 1st school of choice on March so all ended happily after all.

When I researched the topic at the time, it became apparent that the success rate at appeal was close to 0 and I know the high emotional toll it took on people who appealed so I’d recommend that you simply move on. It will likely be for the better.
Swlondonmum

Post by Swlondonmum »

I should also caveat that you need to carefully read the admissions policy. Our experience was from 2 yrs ago and process may have changed since then. At the time I remember reading imposts that only 2-3 years previously the Sutton exam was offering a remarking service for a fee. Not at our time though.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now