Non Such Vs WHSG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dad22&25

Re: Non Such Vs WHSG

Post by Dad22&25 »

I think the best way to decide is to (try and) identify what you think is most important for you and see which school offers more of that?

I think it's hard to choose solely on results because they are both very good and won't make much of a difference to your DD.

I think it was very difficult this year (and last year!) to get a 'feel' for the school due to no in-person open days...all the best with making your choice!
11+2021

Post by 11+2021 »

I'm finding this thread really helpful as also IC for both though Nonsuch is nearer for us. I've found the lack of in person open days very hard. Spent a while going through the virtual ones though and actually there's quite a lot on there when you delve (I hadn't previously beyond the headteacher address and a couple of videos, as wasn't sure how likely it was to be an option).
Really helpful to get views of parents of girls at either school though. Feel a bit in the dark here!
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

11+2021 wrote:I'm finding this thread really helpful as also IC for both though Nonsuch is nearer for us. I've found the lack of in person open days very hard. Spent a while going through the virtual ones though and actually there's quite a lot on there when you delve (I hadn't previously beyond the headteacher address and a couple of videos, as wasn't sure how likely it was to be an option).
Really helpful to get views of parents of girls at either school though. Feel a bit in the dark here!
If the school hasn't closed for HT yet, you might find it useful to go to the schools tomorrow (Friday) at dropoff and pickup times, and chat with parents.
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Another point worth noting is Wally girls pupils do two MFLs in year 7 chosen from German,French and Spanish.
Nonsuch do one plus Latin and can pick a second one up later.
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

I have one dd at Nonsuch and one at Wally girls, all I can say is that there isn't much that separates them. It is clear that the two schools work closely together, I often receive similar communication from both schools on the same day worded in a similar way.

I personally prefer the look of the Nonsuch school building, but having recently visited Wally girls I was positively surprised how airy and light the school felt. Wally girls also has a dance studio if your dd is interested in dance.
I was worried about dd2 having to use public transport to get to Wally girls, but it's all working better than expected. So far public transport has never let us down and she makes it to school quickly, also enjoys spending time with her school friends on the bus.

Dd1 is doing Art GCSE at Nonsuch, her art teacher seems great. It's a very time consuming GCSE though, especially as all the art work they produce during years 10 and 11 count towards the final grade.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

My DD did art Gcse at Wally girls and DS music at Wilson’s.
Both to be avoided at all costs in the opinion of my children.
You hear that from so many people but not really believed until it’s taken on.
The only regretted GCSEs by either of my children.
11+2021

Post by 11+2021 »

Moon unit wrote:My DD did art Gcse at Wally girls and DS music at Wilson’s.
Can I ask why? Is it pushiness in those subjects?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

From another GS (and elsewhere ) - I think that art GCSE is a huge amount of work and a bit hit and miss on results - also music similarly, many of those who are interested in music prefer to do the performing / theory exams
mad?

Post by mad? »

11+2021 wrote:
Moon unit wrote:My DD did art Gcse at Wally girls and DS music at Wilson’s.
Can I ask why? Is it pushiness in those subjects?
I can’t speak for MoonUnit but it might be the workload. Even if it isn’t I would just chip in - for Art the workload is huge. DD2 did it (and at A level) and absolutely LOVED it but it is not for everyone. She certainly had friends who, having chosen it as they enjoyed their art classes and found them a nice change from the rest of the day, really regretted it.
ETA xposted with Hermanmunster
mad?
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Art and music GCSEs took the pleasure out of the subject for both of my children.
The curriculum for them was too restrictive and gave little chance to be creative.
They were both good at the subjects ( one getting an 8 and one a 9).
The composition part of music gcse was really onerous and zero fun for my DS.
He wished he had done PE and my DD history.
Both were heavily influenced by teachers prior to the gcse selection pushing them to do the subjects.