WCGS Test Results Out Today

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WP

Post by WP »

Plum wrote:Bit confused with the WCGS letter. It says they will guarantee DS a place if we put it as our first preference, however, DS wants to sit Wilson's as he preferred it. So, if we take a chance and put Wilson's first and he doesn't do so well and misses out on a place, I'm assuming from the gist of WCGS's letter he may well miss out on a place there as well.
No, he won't - his place will be safe, as WTPWE says. There's a detailed explanation of the allocation process on page 14 of the Sutton transfer booklet that makes this clear. I'm guessing that if you read the WCGS letter carefully it doesn't actually say anything about that case; it just manages to imply by omission.
surreygirl

what to put as first choice

Post by surreygirl »

The only reason you are guarenteed a place at wally boys if you put it 1st choice is because you have no school higher than it. The letter should also state that you will not be disadvantaged if you put them lower. You must trust the system If you want wally boys then put them first but if your son wants wilsons then you must put it above wally boys otherwise you will stand no chance of getting wilsons.

If wilsons is your first choice and ds does not passhighly enough to get a place then he will get wally boys wheever you place them

Both my sons go to wilsons and are enjoying.
surreygirl

tiffin vs suttongs wally boys

Post by surreygirl »

The education is much the same and your son will do well at either one. The one area I would look long and hard at is how near the school is and how easy it is to travel to.
What good is it to attend a school do academically brilliant but have no social life have limited friends and find it hard to get home from after school matches/clubs. If you live miles aways he may find it hard meeting up with his friends. School life can be lonely if you do not develope strong relationships.( personal experience.!)
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Just to agree with everyone else. I think someone called it "the Wallington trap" last year-the letter is a bit sneaky implying you will only secure your place if you put it first. Have confidence in the system as it really works. we know boys who put it 3rd with their guaranteed place and still secured a place as flunked the other 2. So put your true first choice first.

As to choosing between the schools, geography and gut feel are very important. I think the Sutton schools tend to self-select slightly different boys, but I know very happy boys at all 3. No experience of Tiffin I'm afraid.
piers3

WCGS Test Results Out Today

Post by piers3 »

[quote="piers3"]hmaq, firstly congratulations to you Ds on his success. What has happened in your case is what I call 'The Wallington Trap'you placed Wallington first because your Ds had passed the test but your should always place the school you really want first. In your case you did want Wallington but now you are not sure.

You applied to three grammars having Wallington 'in the bag' you should have placed Wilsons and Sutton Grammar above Wallington( much better schools imo). Failure to get these two schools would not have affected your Ds place at Wallington."

Another year another set of parents ready to fall into the trap. :roll:
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FINALLY the post arrived today and thank goodness it was good news.
Now i understand what everyone has been discussing about the Wallington trap.
The wording is very scary despite gaining a guarenteed place,"you must put Wallington as your first preference.You will not disadvantage an application for a lower preference school by doing this." --How do they work that out?
Anyway we need a gear change for sutton/tiffin prep,i dont want ds relaxing now. :roll:
[/b]
WP

Post by WP »

Congratulations, Shaftsbury1.

Could someone quote the whole Wallington letter (minus personal details of course), please?
trishc38

Post by trishc38 »

I do not think the letter is that difficult to understand - here is the important bit...

Should you really want **** to come here, you must put Wallington as your first preference on the form. You will not disadvantage an application for a LOWER preference school by doing this.

Unquote

IE - only put Wallington 1st if it is your 1st choice and then you will not disadvantage an application for a lower preference school. But frankly if you were guaranteed a place at Wallington and it was your first choice you would not bother applying for another school anyway. If Wallington is NOT your first choice put another down 1st and if you do not get into that one you will still get your Wallington place if put 2nd, 3rd...
WP

Post by WP »

Should you really want **** to come here, you must put Wallington as your first preference on the form. You will not disadvantage an application for a LOWER preference school by doing this.
And conversely if you really want **** to go to another school you must put that first and it won't disadvantage your application to Wallington.

Thanks, trishc. It's not as bad as I thought (though it could still be clearer, say by adding the above sentence).
Plum

Post by Plum »

Hi
Took DS to look at WCGS today and asked the Admissions Officer this question just to get it from the "horse's mouth" and she confirmed everything written here and said that they maintain the rank order etc
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now