Which way should I go with choosing for my (v.shy) son?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TraceyCakes

Which way should I go with choosing for my (v.shy) son?

Post by TraceyCakes »

I am new to this forum and wondered if any parents had any suggestions as to where would be best for my son. He is just in Year 5 and is doing well at school. He also has a maths tutor who says he is 'very very bright'. he enjoys school and is popular although quiet and well behaved compared with some other boys! I have looked at Wallington, Wilsons, Whitgift and Trinity... However, all these schools seem to be very keen on sport - and my son, although joining in at school, doesn't seem to be keen at all on any outside clubs. He hates any attention (sports days etc) but is actually naturally good at sports when he is encouraged to finally join in. I am worried he will be out of his depth at senior school (worried mum!). Are they good at bringing boys out of their shell or is it all very competitive?
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

my first impression is that your posting hides in itself the answer...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi TraceyCakes

Welcome to the forum!

Join the club!!! the world is full of us worried mothers completely convinced that their child will never cope with senior school.
Time flies - for all of us it really does only seem 5 minutes since you walked out of the hospital with this tiny bundle and suddenly they are going to senior school - or in the case of mine doing GCSEs....
I remember taking DS to nursery school and I used to have to carry him in and he had to sit on the teachers lap for assembly ... I could never imagine him growing up that much.
Now when I worry (fuss) about him he makes me a cup of tea and pats me on the head.
When I was at senior school, my HM said that adaptability was a sign of high intelligence - I expect a lot of people on this forum have found that their DCs amaze them by the way they adapt and thrive in new situations.
I am sure your DS will be just the same, I can't say a lot about the schools yo list but the answer is to visit and see what you think.

Keep posting!

Herman
x
Thea

Post by Thea »

Tracey - when you say they are all keen on sport - is this the image they put across on the pic on theirr website, info in brochure etc? Remember these are PR to reel in the punters - there will probably be a sizeable proportion of boys who are indifferent to sport as in all schools. Ask the HM! We specifically asked on school visits what the boys did at break if they didn't want to play football - teh answers are illuminating and may help to put your mind at rest.
Best Regards,
Thea
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Morning Traceycakes (loving the name! :D )

My DS is at Trinity and we have friends at Whitgift and Wilsons. Sports is a big thing at these schools BUT there are enough other activities to occupy your son if sports is not his thing.

From what I have seen and heard from my DS the boys are encouraged to take part in a sport not just to represent the school but it is seen as an important part of the bonding with their peers. There are lots of teams to join at various levels so your DS will find his own comfort zone.

Don't worry about it (easier said than done!). Your DS will be fine.
TraceyCakes

Post by TraceyCakes »

thank you for your replies... we went to Whitgift the other day to visit and my son suprised me by really coming out of his shell! He chatted to the older boys, played maths games and told the language teacher he wanted to learn Japanese and Spanish (!!!). Perhaps I don't know him as well as I thought... :)

I feel silly asking this... but what is 'DS' ???!!!
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Lol! I also had to ask that question when first coming onto the forum!

I was told that it means Dearest/Darling Son/Daughter.

Please correct me if I am wrong :shock:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

TraceyCakes wrote:thank you for your replies... we went to Whitgift the other day to visit and my son suprised me by really coming out of his shell! He chatted to the older boys, played maths games and told the language teacher he wanted to learn Japanese and Spanish (!!!). Perhaps I don't know him as well as I thought... :)

I feel silly asking this... but what is 'DS' ???!!!
Hi TraceyCakes

Sounds like a great visit - I find it is amazing to discover that they have a life you don't know about ... like what languages they want to do, or some talent that only appears in school hours.

Good luck with your visits
Herman