Sutton tests - Feedback?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sports taxi

Scrum down.

Post by sports taxi »

I thought that the organisation for this years test was much better than my last experience 2 years ago. The zone's meant that there was v little confusion in the playground. These things are all intimidating...my experience is that Tiffin is the most because of the numbers. If the 1550 entrants number was correct then that would be about the same number as 2 years ago. This is the first year that the 10k priority catchment area has been removed so there may be more boys trying from further away. Haven't quizzed ds about the test but he has volunteered that there were lots of questions in each test (80 ish), he doesn't seem too traumatised by the whole thing. For us that's it, so good luck on the Tiffin test, roll on the results!
SunlampVexesEel

Re: Scrum down.

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

sports taxi wrote:I thought that the organisation for this years test was much better than my last experience 2 years ago.
I thought the organisation was rubbish from a parent's point of view; much preferred Wallington where you could sit on the grass with a cup of tea in the sunshine.
I was disappointed the PTA didn't come up with a scheme to keep the parent's occupied.
From a child's point of view everything seemed well organised with some very smartly dressed 6th formers keeping everyone under control.
Animis opibusque parati
WorryQueen

Post by WorryQueen »

Actually this is the second year that the 10k priority catchment area has been removed. Last year was the first. It was just as manic last year as it was this year!
melinda

Post by melinda »

sports taxi - Wallington are fortunate to have space - where were the PTA expected to put all those people??
The town centre is ideally placed to occupy parents!!

I think the work goes into making it less stressful and easier for the boys - the parents can look after themselves!!

:) :)
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Completely agree with you Melinda about the town centre being convenient for parents.I was really shocked at the closeness of two m-s carparks and still people trying to park on the road!! :roll:
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

The deputy head who retired 2 years ago insisted on organising the exam day and wouldn't let the boys be grouped alphabetically so it used to be chaos with boys just wandering around the playground forming groups and frequently getting lost at play time. Since he retired the admissions officers have been able to work on trying to organise the boys better :D
adm

Post by adm »

ardmore wrote:
Thea wrote:13 applicants per place :shock:
not quite, one can 13 applicant for 3 places, the same set takes the exam in WGS, Wilson as well. There are about 390 places ( 120 SGS, 120 WGS, 150 Wilson). so 390 places for about 1600 children. last year 395 children qualified in SGS ( 326 pass marks) and this year 485 passed in WGS.
Yes, but not all of those 395 get places - there's only 120 places at Sutton. Whilst some decide to go elsewhere (Wilsons, Wallington, independent etc.), that still leaves a fair number that pass as stuck on the waiting list. There was a sign up at open day at the admissions office saying of those that didn't go elsewhere, about 50 still remained on the waiting list.

Here's hoping anyway!
SunlampVexesEel

I don't really understand this thread... I must be missing something...

What is a SGS pass mark?

I thought there were no results until after allocation day and after that date it would just be a place or a ranking on the waiting list?

Have I missed something?
Animis opibusque parati
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

The passmark is basically the lowest mark which is considered to be of selective standard. A child has to have achieved atleast that mark to gain a place in the school. However, even if your DC does get that mark, he or she will not be guaranteed a place - that is where the oversubscription criteria kicks in (i.e probably rank order).

Anyone who doesn't get the passmark will not be eligible for the waiting list after initial allocation even in the extremely unlikely event that not all the places are filled from children who did achieve the required standard.

Hope that helps :)
SunlampVexesEel

Still a bit confused...

When is the pass mark announced? After allocation day?
Animis opibusque parati
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now