Tiffin Girls Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Not first choice independent but all really pleased about it and are considering it. We have also applied for Nonsuch (score prob won't be good enough for out of catchment) and Wallington so would accept those but Tiffin is first choice. :D What about you ?
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

FWIW 2 years ago when we applied on line despite them saying results wouldn't be available until 9am the following morning they were actually up on line the night before about 6pm-not that they were completely accurate, but that's another story :(
keepcalmandcarryon

Post by keepcalmandcarryon »

Tiffins is first choice but sat Nonsuch as a practice. We did not put it on the CAF though as thought it was too far. I will try the night before surreymum - here's hoping it is one day less to wait!
oesmugso

marks into percentages ?

Post by oesmugso »

mynameisbond, a couple of years ago I spent a little bit of time looking at this whole business of standardisation of scores. I also posted at length hoping for some feedback so as to help me either spot mistakes/omissions in my thinking or to cement my ideas.

Unfortunately no one including some posters who I thought might know more/better replied, they simply posted around me! I've seen your question a couple of months(?) ago and thought 1 or 2 perhaps would provide the answer.

My recollection tells me that there is no way to translate percentage marks to the standardised score, or vice versa. I'll leave aside the adjustment for age differences of students for the moment. The act of standardisation takes the raw marks and maps them to points on a specific selected Normal Distribution curve. This means that whether you score 70 or 95, if your mark was the top mark it will be mapped to the full 140 out of 140. So it emphasises the position within the group of students sitting the exam rather than the absolute score, hence why no connection.

Hope that helps rather than confuses!
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

I think raw scores are only likely to be available as part of the appeal process.

As oesmugso said it doesn't really matter anyway... it's all about relative performance on the day.

Good Luck... nail biting isn't it....

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Oesmugso thank you for your analysis - makes me realise that there is no point thinking about percentages. My DD was scoring over 90% in all VR and NVR practice tests in the few weeks before the Tiffin test but that doesn't really count for anything as it will ultimately depend on the perfomance of the cohort on the test day.......the confusion re Mar1/2nd is also guaranteed to send me into a spin !!
RollOnMar2

Post by RollOnMar2 »

I have a tip to make the wait less anxious, mynameisbond - Cabernet Sauvignon 8)
RollOnMar2

5 days to go...

Post by RollOnMar2 »

... and rehearsing positive reactions to the various possible outcomes :?