Sutton test changes?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shaftsbury1

Sutton test changes?

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello everyone,
I have been surfing around school sites (the crazy waiting begins :shock: )

Sutton has announced on their admissions page that although this years test will be as usual on sat 20th Nov 2010,they are considering for the future to change the procedure.

They are asking parents for their opinons:-
Do you want the test to be at the same time? or

Would you think an earlier test would be better(like Wallington)? or...

Do you think a pre-test to gauge your child's chances before a full test later would be good?

I think this is so brilliant that they are opening this up to advice!

They have hinted that other schools are also considering change!
melinda

Post by melinda »

Great idea, although their inbox may be overwhelmed by ideas and opinions!
I think the pre test sounds interesting - although it would have to be fairly tough.
I agree with the early test disadvantages as I felt the Wallington test was too close to the end of the holidays and my son was not quite back into learning mode.

Anyway, it's good there is to be some consultation and plenty of notice for the changes - if any.
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Yes i agree the Wallington test was early but then it was so good to be able to fill in the CAF form knowing it was a viable choice.

It is very difficult for the schools because the form has to be submitted so soon.

Maybe a pre-test would be a good idea or why don't they(Wallington,Wilsons,and Sutton) all join forces and have one combined test??????? That would take the pressure off the kids (and parents!):D
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

Yep - they should all join up, kids should do the test for all GS in their own primary schools! But wait - that was what we used to have under the proper GS system, which lifted so many (including myself & 4 siblings - Tiffin, Tiffin G, SGS, Nonsuch) out of a life of poverty and lack of aspiration.
Plum

Post by Plum »

Those were the days! No tutors, the schools helped prep you for the exam and no having to cross 3 boroughs to get to school! :lol:

Plum
atestingtime

Post by atestingtime »

Somethings in the air for sure - what with Tiffin changing the test date to January and Elmbridge schools are all muttering about admissions too.

Elmbridge Council document proposes catchment areas for all its 4 schools - surely thats also what we used to have?!

Back to the 80's and not just in batwing sleeved jumpers!
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

How did the different variations of the 11+ evolve?

Why did the grammars in this area decide on independant testing?

Kent and Yorkshire are still following the old system, i think?

The system here is so tough for the children with tests starting from September to January (and beyond if trying out for indies).
And then the differing formats vr nvr etc and m/c or standard! :roll:
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Just checked wilsons site and theit test has been moved to September 27th!!!
Plum

Post by Plum »

Wow - that is early. Wish it was like that this year - could have got it all over done with in a fortnight! And saved a few quid on the tutor!

At least they are finally beginning to realise that it's such a huge decision for us parents, we like to make our choices with as much information as possible - like whether DCs have passed the exam or not!

Plumx
admissionslady

Replies to sgs

Post by admissionslady »

Glad Shaftesbury1 is pleased with invitation to express an opinion. And Melinda, I'd love to be overwhelmed with comments!

You'll see I have started a new thread drawing everyone's attention to this chance to tell us what you think.

As I said on that post, hope you don't mind an insider sticking her nose in.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now