Sutton test changes?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Speaking as a North Yorkshire parent (West Yorkshire is different again!) we have ours tests VERY early, around middle of September, and personally I found it good timing. They were back at school about ten days then it was the exams.

We only have three grammar schools in North Yorkshire so admittedly it is easier to administrate but it works out that EVERYONE takes the same test on the same 2 days (catchment and out of catchment) with reserve dates for those poorly.

The in catchment children take the test in their schools whilst OOC take it in local halls.

We find out the results about a week before CAFs are to be returned.

I'm sure Herman/Bougalou or Nathair will correct me if I've forgotten something/wrong :lol:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

http://www.suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk/admissions/

[quote]Would you like your son to sit a very early “pre-testâ€
admissionslady

purpose of pre-test

Post by admissionslady »

We are only in the very early stages of considering the matter. At the moment the thinking on the pre-test, should we go down that route, is that it would rule out those children for whom grammar school would be totally unsuitable (with the school making the decision). The final assessment and ranking would be done via a later test.

But as I say, we are only just starting to think about it, hence the invitation to contribute to the debate.
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello and welcome admissionslady!

Thank you so much for opening this matter up for consultation!

Personally from my experience, of this past test season, i found it a very long and drawn out process with 4 tests over 4 monthes.

It was difficult to keep ds's motivation going for such a long time.

Now that Wilsons have also brought their test date forward to September,i think it would be better if all the tests were closer together.

In that way,the children will have a shorter test period and then be free to enjoy their last year in primary school.And if children are trying for independents as well, then including SATs ,the whole year is taken up with tests :(

The Wallington test although early was at least helpful (imho) in being able to fill in the CAF form,with 'viable' choices.

Thanks again
Shaftsbury1
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

My concern with early testing is that we have a DS in Y4 who will be trying for grammars but he is a summer birthday and we are very concerned that he will be disadvantaged yet again through his age as he will only be 10 years and a few months when he takes the Sept tests. Will this be taken into account ?
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

I think that all the Grammars in this area do age standardize.

Again i believe every child is different,some maturing before others.My Ds is also a summer baby and was only 10 and a few months when he took the Wallington.It did not seem to affect him.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now