Independent schools locally

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Thea

Independent schools locally

Post by Thea »

Does anyone know how the timescales work on offers from indepependent schools - eg LEH, Putney High etc? Presume they make offers and want financial committment before March1? We shall be going thru this process next year, so any info gratefully received...
Best Regards,
Thea

Post by Guest »

As far as I know most London independents have the exams in January. Interviews end of Jan and beginning of Feb and the offers in the last two weeks of Feb. Normally expect acceptance (and hefty deposit!) by mid-March.

Post by Guest »

As far as I am aware the independents don't expect decisions from parents until state school places are awarded ie after 1st March. They know that its unfair to push parents into making a decision until that time. They do however, push for a deposit soon after that date forcing your hand if you are sitting on a selective school waiting list. I know this is definately the case for Herts/London and would think it safe to assume its the same for Surrey
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Certainly the case in parts of the midlands / north - the independents wait until after March 1st as they know the final places for many kids won;t be decided until then

Post by Guest »

It varies enormously - my son had offers from 4 independent schools and only one required a deposit. We had 3 or 4 days to make our decision after our LEA offer was released but the 2 state schools he applied for had already notified us of his results in the tests.The state schools don't make an offer as such but state whether a place would have been offered in past years.

The school he now attends did not begin taking payment until he had started at the school (we pay monthly rather than termly in advance). I would say that all will have a clause in the acceptance package stating that you are liable for a terms fees if you accept then later pull out.

Good luck with reaching your decision!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now