Formal of Sutton Mocks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shymum

Re: Formal of Sutton Mocks

Post by shymum »

Hi Supermum2

My DS score 319 on sutton mock exam last year and passed Wilson on Jan.

I know how you feel, I was shocked when we got the result and started to work very hard with DC. I started giving him more works( bond paper including 12 + for maths and practicing independent school entrance exam).

Please do not give up. Keep up the good work!

Good Luck!
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

Thanks for your kind words. DS has started to focus a bit more. He is getting around 85% on maths papers and VR from this site but when we go through silly mistakes he would get 90-93%. I just hope he gets his act together by the real thing in September.

Which school did your DS go to in the end?
All I need now is wings!
shymum

Post by shymum »

My DS got his first choice which was Wilson starting Sept 10.

He was scoring above 90% when we were practice the papers at home. Please advise him to redo the question paper whenever he has time to spare on the exam or while practice the paper to avoid the silly mistake. I always say to him that he doesn’t get extra mark for finishing early.

I will be taking the same journey next year for my DD, she will be in year 5 on Sept.

Good Luck!
supermum2

Post by supermum2 »

Thanks shy mum, did your DS do the mocks? and was he scoring 90% all the way through? DS is scoring quite high at the mo but too many sully mistakes arghh
All I need now is wings!
shymum

Post by shymum »

My DS did do the mock exam last year and scored 319. He was not scoring 90% all the time when we practice at home, some days he scores less as he rushes to finish the paper and do silly mistakes on the way.

You have got two month to go for the exam and your DS is doing well just try to find a way to lessen the silly mistakes on the paper. On the day of the entrance exam I remember that I was literally pleading with my DS to redo the paper all over again before submitting, when he came out the exam he did say that he corrected three incorrect answers when he redo the paper again.

Hope this helps
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Everyone seem hung on getting 80-90% in practice. Is it that you need these extremely high scores in the actual test of 80%+ in the Sutton/Surrey area?

Here is West Kent we have about 3 superselective and even these you need to score around 70-75% in the actual test, otherwise for the rest of our Kent grammars with about 55% in each subject thats a pass and you're almost guaranteed a grammar place.
Impossible is Nothing.
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

[quote="sherry_d"]Everyone seem hung on getting 80-90% in practice. Is it that you need these extremely high scores in the actual test of 80%+ in the Sutton/Surrey area?

Here is West Kent we have about 3 superselective and even these you need to score around 70-75% in the actual test, otherwise for the rest of our Kent grammars with about 55% in each subject thats a pass and you're almost guaranteed a grammar place.[/quote]

Wow! that sounds comparatively quite easy :shock:

I don't think any of the top 4 schools in Herts (and Barnet) will have offered a place below 75%

guess the competition is just too high around this side :?
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

sherry_d wrote:Everyone seem hung on getting 80-90% in practice. Is it that you need these extremely high scores in the actual test of 80%+ in the Sutton/Surrey area?

Here is West Kent we have about 3 superselective and even these you need to score around 70-75% in the actual test, otherwise for the rest of our Kent grammars with about 55% in each subject thats a pass and you're almost guaranteed a grammar place.
Unfortunately yes. There are just 2 girls grammars and 3 boys in Sutton and one of each in Kingston. These are the only grammars in South West Lindon and Surrey. There is no catchment and it is increasingly competitive to get a place
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Damn, I feel so luck now. :) You guys must have really clever DCs. I cant imagine how mine would ever score that high :wink:

Good luck to you all, here we are ploughing for at least 55% and the thought of 90% makes my body freeze. My DC didnt do very well in the mocks and I was amazed how some kids were getting those fantastic HIGH scores. Now I understand its a different system, I would have been less worried if I had known you guys need those superscores. All the same I have absolute admiration at how fantastic your kids are doing.
Impossible is Nothing.
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

sherry_d wrote: Now I understand its a different system, I would have been less worried if I had known you guys need those superscores. All the same I have absolute admiration at how fantastic your kids are doing.
Me too. The north london/Herts selectives are tough to get into. Not only do you have to get fantastic scores but there is a huge number of kids applying each year too :evil: (not sure how this compares to other areas). I'm so proud of how hard DD is working towards this goal. :D
I had no idea how much work (by me as well :shock: ) was involved in 11+ before we set out on this journey. The level of effort and commitment required by these 10 -11 year olds is amazing. Hats off to them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now