Tutor needed (Sutton)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LookieLuke

Tutor needed (Sutton)

Post by LookieLuke »

I'm looking for an English tutor for my son (7 years old, Year 3). We live in Sutton (postcode SM1). The tutoring is supposed to be part of preparation for 11+ exams (Wilson's, Wallington and Sutton Grammar schools).
Please PM me.
surreymum

Re: Tutor needed (Sutton)

Post by surreymum »

Welcome to the forum.

Although I don't know your personal circumstances I would suggest going easy on a 7 year old-most people in our area only tutor in year 5 for grammar school entry-traditionally from about January time, although many throughout year 5 now as some of the exams have moved forward.

However it does makes sense to do your homework early to find a tutor as many plan a long way ahead.
LookieLuke

Re: Tutor needed (Sutton)

Post by LookieLuke »

surreymum,

Thank you for your reply.

I guess my "The tutoring is supposed to be part of preparation for 11+ exams" was too dramatic. It does not mean I want my son to take the exams sooner than normal or to speed up the learning process, i.e. to be ahead of the normal curriculum for his age. I am just for systematic learning rather than exam- or test-focused one.

However the main "personal circumstance" is that English is not a native language in our family. Additionally my wife speaks different language than I do. This means that there are 3 languages involved. That creates some confusion and I can see from my son's results at school that he lags behind in English although in maths he is one of the best in his class. I'm just afraid that the gap might widen in the future and it won't be so easy to straighten it up in a short period of time just before the exam.

Although my English is not terrible I am not able to provide quality tutoring for him in the subject. I am a mathematician myself and I can cover maths, non-verbal reasoning and to large (I hope) degree verbal reasoning, but with English I just lack the "nativeness".