Nonsuch results 2010

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doroty

Re: Nonsuch results 2010

Post by doroty »

Giulio wrote:Doroty
I understand that 237 was the ooc mark at allocation day, so presumably it might have gone lower in the waiting list.
Just a thought.
Thanks Giulio. I read somewhere in this forum that went down to 233 but I'm not sure. I'll call to the school to see if they can confirm this, but anyway, could be different in 2011 (better or worse!, hopefully better :( :wink: )

xx
waitingagain

Post by waitingagain »

New to the forum, what a long wait til March! My DD achieved 241 for Non Such so not really sure what to expect as we are ooc. Wally Girls is closer to us and my other DD is there but curious with the long wait (as they wont give us a score) whether we would make top 80? Could things change alot this year compared to last year? Obviously we will prob go for Wally girls (and that was easier because it contained Maths and not NVR) if she makes the grade and we are in catchment for that one. I did like Non Such though. Dilemmas!
I dont understand the percentile rankings? Not being a mathematician myself!
varu

Post by varu »

Giulio wrote:Doroty
I understand that 237 was the ooc mark at allocation day, so presumably it might have gone lower in the waiting list.
Just a thought.
Giulio- I understand you have a good understanding of the results. I also read your posts from the last year's results. Our DD scored 227 and we are out side the catchment area. I am told last year someone's daughter who live in Mitcham scored 223 and got a place. Any advice?
Could you/someone please also explain what top 80 means i.e. are these positions explicit to those who live outside catchment area or they also include those who live within the catchment. To clarify if for example a girl scores 270/280 and lives within the catchment then whether she would also be part of top 80?

Many thanks - worried parents!
Mumof1

Post by Mumof1 »

The top 80 will include both those who live within and outside the catchment. A girl who scores 270/280 and lives within the catchment would also be part of the top 80. DD scored 228 last year and did not get a place from out of catchment! This year may be different.
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

Varu,
to add to Mumof1 reply, parts of Mitcham might be in the catchement
try this
http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-from-uk-postcode.htm
use Nonsuch postcode which is SM3 8AB
and distance is 3.26 miles (=5.25 km)
Giulio

PS
it is unfair to have a catchment area for selective schools.
varu

Post by varu »

Giulio wrote:Varu,
try this
Giulio

PS
Many thanks for your reply- much appreciated! And yes I agree on the catchment area issue- unfair to say the least. So we now keep our fingers crossed for Wallington Grammar! Trouble is they won't tell us any score and hence the wait until March 2011. Would it be a fair guess if DD scores similar marks, she might get into Wallington (assuming all things remain constant i.e. number of students appearing etc.)?

Thanks again- very worried parent now!
surrey parent

Post by surrey parent »

Any idea on what the lowest score and highest score is this year, for the ones that passed the nonsuch test?
varu

Post by varu »

surrey parent wrote:Any idea on what the lowest score and highest score is this year, for the ones that passed the nonsuch test?
A few at my DD's school did get 203. We also know of atleast one girl who scored 280.. yes 280/280. Goodluck!
cbckk

Post by cbckk »

The vibes of worry, elation and disappointment are very palpable... Unfortunately, my daughter did not make the grade for Nonsuch :( even after a year of Bond books etc but hey-ho - I do not want her know that we are disappointed as this will not help :wink:

We have just immigrated from overseas where there were no VR/NVR tutors. Can anyone recommend a good tutor for the Nonsuch? I also have a 8 year old and we would like to start tuition early. Someone not far from Epsom would be ideal.

Thanks for any ideas and good luck to you all.
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

Giulio wrote:Varu,
try this
Giulio

PS
To whom, exactly? Local residents of Wallington and Cheam certainly find it unfair that parents drive their kids in from all over, clogging up the roads & depriving local children of school places! Sutton CT is very high - why should we pay it in order to allow those from other boroughs to benefit? Suttonm has an appalling shortage of school places, which it never had before the Greenwich Judgment which allowed anyone from anywhere to come to Sutton schools.