Tiffin Boys last night

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2outof3

Tiffin Boys last night

Post by 2outof3 »

Just thought I would repost my comment about the Tiffin Boys open evening last night which is a bit buried in the car parking thread.

Basically I was fairly impressed with everything but wasn't blown away by it (which I expected to be) but can't quite put my finger on why. We all know the results are brilliant, but a school is so much more than that :?

I just wanted to see what everyone else thought - and I know that a lot of you would have been there :D
la boume

Re: Tiffin Boys last night

Post by la boume »

I have been at Tiffin girls, but i have the same impression. It is hard to say anything about school just moving along the corridors with too many people. I was very tired afterwards. However, the new headmistress made a very good impression, and all the tiffin students have been helpful and polite. My daughter liked the comprehensive school we've seen last week even better than Tiffin.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

true nothing there to be impressed

but 80% boys participate in learning musical instrument

80% boys participate in one of the sports

80% students get A* - B grades

25 students go to oxbridge

most of the rest gets their first preferenced university (hopefully russell group of uni)

what else is needed

am sure nothing looked great by looking at building, corridors etc, but these should not be criteria in deciding if school is good or not

no football, if any child is really desporate to participate in football then Tiffin is not right. if football played just for fun then tiffin is fine
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

muvvalac

"25 students go to oxbridge..."

out of curiosity - is it 25 or 25% ?

(I'm impressed in any case!)
partygirl

Post by partygirl »

25 students go to Oxbridge.

The last set of A level results were the best ever A level results for Tiffin.

DS left Tiffin in the summer and just started Uni. Most of his friends got their first choice Uni, those who didn't including DS got their second choice Uni, all got into Russell Group Unis whether firm or insurance uni. My son got offers from all 5 Unis, all in Russell Group. Unfortunately he didn't get the straight As required to get into Bristol which was his Firm choice.

At age 11 DS also got places at Berks and Bucks Grammars. Did we make the correct choice sending him to Tiffin? YES YES YES YES YES.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

partygirl wrote:25 students go to Oxbridge.

The last set of A level results were the best ever A level results for Tiffin.

DS left Tiffin in the summer and just started Uni. Most of his friends got their first choice Uni, those who didn't including DS got their second choice Uni, all got into Russell Group Unis whether firm or insurance uni. My son got offers from all 5 Unis, all in Russell Group. Unfortunately he didn't get the straight As required to get into Bristol which was his Firm choice.

At age 11 DS also got places at Berks and Bucks Grammars. Did we make the correct choice sending him to Tiffin? YES YES YES YES YES.
Congrats to your son who went to Russell group uni

25 to oxbridge is right as you said, but i wud say it should be more than that. as 20 pupil from dr challenor also go to oxbridge everyyear, so i wud expect more tiffin boys to go to oxbridge but it looks like not , may be some from tiffin are choosing top USA uni or may be choosing uni who offer media/art which may not be offered at oxbridge.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

(or maybe some like my daughter refused to even consider oxbridge, after a visit she said it was like hogwarts :roll: )
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

Its refreshing to know that younger generations are looking beyond Oxbridge.

I've been hearing increasingly nowadays from many schools about top notch students choosing univs like Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham etc rather than Oxbridge - not as second, but as first choice.

Will be interesting to see how the scene pans out in 7 years time.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

yoyo123 wrote:(or maybe some like my daughter refused to even consider oxbridge, after a visit she said it was like hogwarts :roll: )
My ds's friend told me he though Tiffin's was like Hogwarts. He still went.
la boume

Post by la boume »

According to Tiffin Girls Prospectus, 18 girls went to Oxbridge. May be some will start there later after gap year. I think 18 is a respectful number, but don't understand fixation on Oxbridge as a measure of success. What is wrong with Warwick, Bristol, St Andrews etc?
I can see only one problem with the Tiffins-it is very hard to get into!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now