Textbooks Year 7

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaysDarlin

Textbooks Year 7

Post by JaysDarlin »

Sorry for bumping up a very old topic - are we allowed to do that?

Im finding it really hard with mys ds1's textbooks and learning materials for Tiffin. He gets taught topics at school, and gets tested on those topics every 6 weeks (known as 'landmarks')... and just using those taught notes from lessons isnt enough for him. He regularly gets low grades, and then he doesnt get the test papers back, so all we have to work on is a sheet if incorrect answers.... by that time he has forgotten what the question was as well! Then he gets told that he isnt spending enough time revising. What's he supposed to revise?

The text books he gets from school dont have the answers in them... where do we get good questions and answers from.... is a tutor necessary?

Thanks.
hermanmunster

Re: School Textbooks For Year 7

Post by hermanmunster »

JaysDarlin - no probs re thread being "woken up" but might be better if I move it to Surrey and start a new thread!
JaysDarlin

Re: Textbooks Year 7

Post by JaysDarlin »

Very sensible :)

Thank you.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Hi JD,
I take it he isn't getting the opportunity to bring home a text book.
You shouldn't have to pay for a tutor if the work in the exercise book doesn't provide adequate revision material. It amazes me (as an ex-teacher and current learning support) how many pupils are expected to revise when they don't have the basics through no fault of their own.
I suppose the key question is: why are his notes insufficient?
Could you find out more and let us know?

Edited: Read your post again and you say he has textbooks - is that for most subjects?
NorthLondonDad2

Post by NorthLondonDad2 »

Have you spoken to the school?
Form Tutor or Head of Year?
Don't fret at home over a real worry to you - get in touch with the school and ask how you can best help your son. Good schools must want to work with parents like you who care.
la boume

Post by la boume »

Hi, I knew that there are texbooks provision in Tiffins, but did not know they do not contain answers. Someone I know told me that the children at Tiffins "not spoon-fed", may be that's what your DS experiencing now. I think it is good idea to get those test results back and do some work at home. Can the parents speak to the office about it?

It's not a secret that some of GS pupils have tutor on a regular basis. Heard that it can be difficult to organise after-school clubs at some of them, as students rushing to their tutors straight after the final bell.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

I had exactly that conversation with one of my DDs teachers at parents evening this week (nonsuch). I asked about buying the text book that is used in class and was told that this isn't necessary as all the pages from text books they have used are available on an online service that the pupils can access. This was news to me but very helpful! I would ask if Tiffins has the same facility as they seem to use several different text books for each subject and it could get a bit expensive!
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Thanks for all your answers and so sorry for not replying earlier! Alas, I didn't get in contact with school... With ds2's 11+ stress and then the last few months of pregnancy, it was just too much!

However, I did invest in quite a lot of textbooks for ks3. Namely letts, cgp and Collins essentials. They are all really good and have workbooks for the higher levels. Now if ds1 needs to revise a topic, he can look up in all three books and then test himself as well... With answers.

Viva la amazon!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now