Help! I did not have a Plan B after 11 plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jimjamsmum

Help! I did not have a Plan B after 11 plus

Post by jimjamsmum »

Hi,

I'm new to the Forum, and I've been heartened by the way you all help each other. Our DS sat the exams or Wallington, Wilsons, Sutton and Tiffins. He came pretty close in the Wilsons and Sutton exams, and passed the Wallington one. However, we don't know his pass mark and as he hasn't been offered a place, we have been asked to wait till 30th March to find out if he's on the list and where.

As we couldn't afford the independents, we didn't put him forward for the exams. I realise that it was risky and he's now faced with a drop to a comprehensive that hasn't got good results. We looked at Whitgift but the exams clashed with Tiffins. We subsequently found out on the exam day that Tiffins had a 2nd sitting exam day. His tutor is just as disappointed as we are and so is his school teacher at our school.

Please could anyone advise us of any schools that he could apply to as a late applicant, that would give him an opportunity to sit an exam at this late stage. We live in Wandsworth and I've contacted Emmanuel who have turned us down.

Any advise would be appreciated. I recognise that we may just have to wait but I fear the worst and the need to do something.

Thanks,

Jimjamsmum
mystery

Re: Help! I did not have a Plan B after 11 plus

Post by mystery »

Have you read the appeals sections? Have you made sure you are on the waiting lists for as many schools as possible? Have you read all the relevant LAs admissions booklet and school admissions policies, and info about waiting lists and appeals to understand your different options now properly?

I don't think anyone here is going to be able to say apply to school x they are not full and are doing late tests soon, I'm afraid.
EQchick

Post by EQchick »

Graveney is a good school. How well did he do in the Wandsworth test?

Also several friends of ours, whose boys just failed the grammar tests, or else passed but haven't got a place, have decided on Ashcroft.

Another school you might want to look at is Rutlish in Merton. The Headmaster is doing amazing things there, and their marks are rapidly improving. The best thing is that he's reintroduced 'setting' (which they actually do in all Wandsworth schools).

If you want to think about another Independent then it may be worth contacting Ewell. It has a great feel to it and would have been our choice if our son hadn't got Sutton. I know several boys there who are really happy.
moved

Post by moved »

Are you Christian? There is the Thames Christian College and they give bursaries. Not as academic as the grammars though.
dearcoty

Post by dearcoty »

Hi JJM

It may well all work out on the 30th, fingers crossed.

If not, there is always the possibility of Y7/Y8 at a prep school going to 13 and then apply to the schools that you haven't already applied to - perhaps even Whitgift (particularly if you explain why you didn't apply initially) as people do move and many schools (eg Tiffin I think) have a policy of only allowing those who haven't sat the test already to sit for in-year entry.

Having just done this with my ds, the easiest thing is getting the Y7 place at a prep: it's extra income for them and most lose a few boys between Y6 & 7. The hardest thing is him settling in to a new school for 1 or 2 years; and gearing up for another round of entrance exams. Oh yes, and if you stay for Y8 there is the delightful common entrance too...

But it is an option, and allows breathing space. Just a thought.

dc
iluvmykids

Post by iluvmykids »

HI DC what you wrote seems intersting. Could you please elaborate more?/ I am sorry i am new and dod not understand the system very well.
What do you mean by PREP schools and what is this TESTS in year 8 at 13 etc. Sorry for the botheration
Many Thanks
dearcoty

Post by dearcoty »

Hi JJM
Not sure which bit to elaborate on, so starting from scratch - apologies for long windedness.

Some boys independent (prep) schools stop at 13 rather than 11; which feed Senior schools that start at 13 (eg King's College Wimbledon, St Pauls's) and other schools have an entry point at 13 even if they begin at age 11. Schools set exams for entry - mostly they have their own exams, which they call 'pre-tests' that can be during Y6, Y7 or Y8 depending on the school. They then offer places for entry to Y9 which are usually conditional on an exam called 'Common Entrance' which boys sit in May or June of Y8 (the papers are marked by the school offering the place). So my ds, for eg, joined a prep school in Y7 and sat a pre-test in early Y8; he now has a place at a senior school to start in Sept in Y9 but this is conditional on him getting an acceptable mark in his common entrance.

My point is that if you are not happy with the thought of going to a comprehensive, you could try to get a place for Y7 at an independent school that runs until Y8 and then sit the entrance exams of possible senior schools. But also - and here I am on dodgier ground as have no direct experience - you could possibly apply to a school such as Whitgift to enter in Y8. At Tiffin I think that they do not run a waiting list and will only offer to set an entrance exam to those boys who have not already taken their test - I don't know about Whitgift but chances are they offer entrance exams for entry to other years. The alternative is to start your ds at the comprehensive and tutor him for the entrance exam.

Must be running out of text space now! Hope this is helpful and other forum users can correct anything that I've got wrong.
Good luck, I'm sure it will all work out OK.
dc
veryworriedmum

Post by veryworriedmum »

Hi dearcoty,

Sorry to jump in here! But this is a really useful piece of info.

My ds has been offered a place at a Grammar school. This school has a (not so good reputation) and we are left with no other option but to accept this offer. Can we think about a possible entry at 13 plus in any of the schools listed above? Your advice from your words of experience greatly appreciated!

Thanks again
veryworriedmum
doingmybest

Post by doingmybest »

Many of the schools listed above have already closed their lists for Y9 2013 entry. For St Pauls you had to be registered in Y5, Westminster by ist term of Y6 and Kings Sep Y6.
The Kings pre-test has already sat and places offered, St Pauls and Westminster pre-test/interview throughout the year and have already made lots of offers. To be frank you are too late for these schools.
They do sit in order though and the next level pre-test in Y7, this will include Hampton. It is worth remembering though that the local prep schools have a close relationship with Hampton, the heads will be pushing for places for their boys. There are only 60 places for over 350 boys, these will mostly go to the local prep school feeders. It is going to be very hard to compete against these boys backed by their headmasters, not impossible, but very hard.
Kingston Grammar are running their own entry test now in year 8 for 13+ so instead of common entrance . It is not the 1st choice for most prep school children so that is probably the easiest option.

I am really sorry if this sounds hard, but I am trying to be realistic so you don't waste a lot of time.
dearcoty

Post by dearcoty »

Hi VWM

yes, DMB is right - those schools have very lengthy application processes and often they happen at the same time as the 11+. There are some schools that offer a 13+ exam (pre-test with CE or just their own test) eg Latymer Upper test during Y8 for Y9 entry - these are only for places that have 'cropped up' rather than there being a new stream of entry at 13 like at Hampton. The numbers will vary year to year.

It is interesting that DMB mentions Kingston Grammar, as they seem to have an Autumn Y7 pre-test for 13+ entry and also run their own test in the spring of Y8 for Y9 entry for those not taking CE. That said, this year that returned deposit cheques as were full (according to a post on this forum somewhere).

Don't be disheartened though, if your current school does not work out. It is not impossible to get a place even for Y8: I know of several children who have moved schools for various reasons and secured places at good schools in SW London. People move and places crop up. As long as you have not already sat the exam, schools need to fill their places and will set tests ad hoc to fill them.

I agree that it is good to be realistic, but nothing ventured nothing gained!

Good luck
dc