How is it possible to get A* or A grades - tiffin school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

Re: How is it possible to get A* or A grades - tiffin school

Post by yoyo123 »

harrow123 wrote:All good

So why is not most of the every children get top grades

What could be missing, it could be hardwork/ motivation/ guidance

As still many children in aldo tiffin gets D and E grades

because , however hard you work for your children, when it comes to teh actual work , it is up to them to put in the effort.

No matter what dreams you have for your child they are, in the end , individuals

between 11 and 18 lots of things can happen to push a child off course, parental break up, death of a parent/grandparent, parent losing job, house being re-posessed..

basically we can only guide and encourage..teh rest is up to them
mad?

Post by mad? »

pheasantchick wrote:P'haps they had 'Western' parents, and not Chinese parents!
and a life!! :D
mad?
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

tiredmum wrote:
stressedparent wrote:Hi harrow123/muvallac

Try and google exam boards and grade boundaries, to get an a* in some papers, you only have to score above 67%. it all depend on how hard is the test papers. Benchmarking and standardization is used but not as deep as the 11 plus. Physics aqa gcse 2009 needed 28 out of 45 raw score to get an a*.
This seems very low - i remember checking this in some of my dd's results last year (which were not AQA). but it was at least 80% that got you an A and obviosly higher for an A*
Hi tiredmum,
I hope you are getting better and not feeling as tired, as for you DD scores, you will find her scores are the scores past adjustment and standardisation and do not reflect her raw scores. To get her raw scores for that paper you need to refer to the examining board grade boundaries.
stressedparent
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Also remember Tiffin students take over a dozen exams and some leave with 15 or 16 grades. It's possible that they've concentrated on their important 12 and left the rest to chance hence some C's and D's. My friends DD got 15 A* from our local mixed comp and just got a 1st at Uni so it's not just GS 11+ kids who can do it!
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

yoyo123 wrote:
harrow123 wrote:All good

So why is not most of the every children get top grades

What could be missing, it could be hardwork/ motivation/ guidance

As still many children in aldo tiffin gets D and E grades

because , however hard you work for your children, when it comes to teh actual work , it is up to them to put in the effort.

No matter what dreams you have for your child they are, in the end , individuals

between 11 and 18 lots of things can happen to push a child off course, parental break up, death of a parent/grandparent, parent losing job, house being re-posessed..

basically we can only guide and encourage..teh rest is up to them
even if none of the worst happens still not every child would get high grades, obviously there is a limitation for everyone. especically with ,ost children if they are not continously pushed then they stop doing hard work so less grades. parents may put all efforts during 11+ but they may unable to motivate the children all 7 years of secondary school life. it is tough even for parents to keep up the motivation, i would think. where as in case of boarders in a boarding school they are guided by tutors/housemaster who are paid for keeping kids busy with home work and extra curricular activities.
but parents are not paid for doing the same :) infact parents do spend money to get this happened.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Actually some kids are bright and motivated and will achieve without being pushed by their parents, or anyone else. I guess these are the kids that the system was designed to cater for.
mad?
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Beyond the age of about eleven I tended to completely ignore my parents!

Behavior is more a function of peer group after that sort of age?

The kids I come across seem to be much more performance/reward focused that ever was the case in my day but I think this is because they are Millennials and life is just like that nowadays.

The youth unemployment rates are shocking... I doubt kids need much motivation where they have the ability/opportunity... the alternatives are terrible...

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now