Tiffin parents - what are the schools really like?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bakersdozen

Tiffin Boys - where do you start!

Post by Bakersdozen »

I have three years experience of the school with a son in Y9 (and another on the way in September, still pinching ourselves!)

Range of subjects, teachers and trips seem similar to any good state comp and the school buildings and location are nothing exceptional, but what sets it apart to me are three things - an expectation of the boys sucess, the disciplined work / learning environment and the commitment to sport and the arts.

The new Head is inspiring and states that Tiffin is a good school that he wants to become a great school. The school focus is on a rounded person alongside the expectation of exam sucess.

My son was tempted to reply when he first saw this thread so maybe I'll try and encourage him back to give you a different insight!
ex tiffin mum

Post by ex tiffin mum »

Thanks Bakersdozen.
sasha

Post by sasha »

I hear the boys' school's really buzzy with senior boys given a lot of responsibility especially with house events. Music is meant to be amazing, especially the treble choir which is often used by the Royal Opera House!

Post by Guest »

My son is currently in year 9 and he enjoys the school-It has a lot of extr curricular activities
guest1

Post by guest1 »

My son started Yr 7 in Sept 07 and I can't fault the school, my son's settled in very well and enjoys it. Yr 7 had their musical concert yesterday and I was overwhelmed with the talent of the boys!
b.o.p

Tiffin girls and boys experience

Post by b.o.p »

I have a child at boys lower 6th and girl at girls yr 8.
They are very different schools and very different children,

Boys school very safe and sound. Some boys quite unmotivated and lazy, some amazing not to do with brightness...all bright. Some like my son just do what they need and no more. These ones get a mix of A's and B's at GCSE, Not sure how you motivate them, might be the same any where.
I gave my son a choice of a sixth form college, he wanted to stay. Lots get amazing results and get very involved, depends on individual. They are given a lot of independence and responsibility. my son who was quite immature has grown up nicely and has grown in confidence. Not an amazing social life but few nice friends. Might be just him.

Girls are all hard workers so far, they are very motivated and work very hard. The school tells them they are doing fine but have a system that they are expected to get 4's in work when they arrive. They see others get 3's and 2's and even 1's and want that for themselves. Its not really pressure they just want to succeed. However they just will always do their homework and always try hard. This seems to be universal. Lots are keen on sport and all supportive of each other, no rivalry, no jealousy..so far. Very nice girls.
They have a lot of fun, act like normal kids, join loads of clubs, have sleepovers and generally giggle and shop as others of their age.
My daughter has lots of mates and loves it a lot.

Hope this helps
b.o.p
sophieG

Post by sophieG »

I've had four children in both.

If exam results is your idea of a good school, then the girls' school is, in my experience, probably more reliable, better organised, more efficient and with more consistent teaching, but tends not to stray beyond the increasingly limited and boring syllabus.

The boys' school I found more shambolic, but also more imaginative and stimulating. My sons' teachers more variable though - from the outstanding to the downright bad - and lack of organisation on the part of some teachers is reflected in the exam results. A lot more extra curricular stuff at the boys' school and the new(ish) head is highly rated.
tiffinian

Both Schools

Post by tiffinian »

All of my family attended the two schools they have one thing in common...they can really manipulate students to make exam results seem like the schools are better than they are....but the other schools are probably using the same methods.

If you just want an OxBridge entry than Tiffins may be right for your child...but a good alround education it is not.
allegra

Post by allegra »

Tiffinian, please tell us more. It's great to hear from someone who's been to the school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now