Tiffin exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
la boume

Tiffin exam

Post by la boume »

Hello all, I suppose it is safe now to ask questions about tiffin exam. I have just one were there any codes? if you think it is still early I'll understand :wink:
atestingtime

Re: Tiffin exam

Post by atestingtime »

145 folk have looked and no replies - that tells a tale!

I was ready to discuss the test a while back , after it seemed safe that resits were over but now I just feel sick when ever I think about it and even worse when I imagine getting the results.

Have pm a few surrey forums users whose children took the test and we all seem to feel the same and can't bring ourselves to talk about it until after the results are out. There is just so much riding on it for so many and so few can suceed.

So the waiting till March continues and the tumble weed continues to blow through the Surrey forum!
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Hi,

Sorry I can't say about the question types (DS didn't tell me what came up and what didn't). He did say he didn't complete the NVR. Did manage to finish the VR.

After the exam I wanted him to relax and so I didn't ask too much about the questions, but he did mention that compound words were covered.

It was a fantastic feeling after the exam, but the stress is beginning to come back now!
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

Main differences between Tiffin boys and other schools (bucks/berks) VR/NVR tests are

1) No maths in VR paper , absolutely no maths questions
2) NVR : You are given all 50min to do the paper, no stop/start after each section. So inturn it is good as you have full 50min for NVR

that is it

Then, DS said compound words were bit tricky, lot of english vocabulary knowledge is useful for VR

In terms of what books to use for NVR, this is covered in other threads but in simple words use all the books that you can , if you can not cover as many as you can then cover atleast bond/Letts/AE/IPS/Susan/Walsh/LearningLab/GLAssessment

For NVR: Bond/Letts/AE/GLAssessment and others if you can
la boume

Post by la boume »

Thank you for your replies. As I said I do understand the unwillingness to discuss the test. The reason I've asked about the codes is my DD hates them :cry: , she understands how to do it, but takes ages to do them. I know that last year there were no codes, but they can make reapperence any year. Just need to tackle them.
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Hi to all,

It was an exception this year; there were codes this year in the Tiffin paper but no maths. A lot of vocab tricky type of questions. I hope this helps. As for the NVR, there were 4 types of twenty questions each with the examples already answered in the paper. Codes, similarities, analogies and sequences came up this year. There was no matrices or odd one out. Good luck and all the best to all.
stressedparent
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

la boume,
are you talking about codes in vr or nvr or both?

sgcmum.
la boume

Post by la boume »

VR. Haven't started on NVR so far. so NVR has codes questions as well? bad news then...
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

la boume,
not to worry.you say your dd understands them and speed is the issue.can definitely be improved with practice.have pm'd you..

sgcmum.
la boume

Post by la boume »

Thanks sgcmum got it
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now