Disappointed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
999 mum

Re: Disappointed

Post by 999 mum »

doingmybest wrote:No-one from a central KUT primary I know, full of very bright kids got in, but 10 places were achieved from a school much further away.
Are you saying that only those from central KUT schools are entitled to go to these schools? :evil:

Aren't these schools known as super selectives where your post code (or how deep your pockets are) don't matter? :roll:

PS The school can't be that far away or how would you know how many got in?

PPS can you name the school so I can send younger children there? :idea: :lol:
la boume

Post by la boume »

I did not see it like that. Doingmybest just said that not many local kids get it. Which is true. You may know how many children got in by talking with the other parents. I am in RBK and this year was not successful for my kid's primary school. last year was much better year, with 8 kids getting in, and 2 of them rejected Tiffins going to prestigious Indies instead. parents outside the RBK do send their offsprings to Kingston tutors, Inc The Family. I believe what DMB wrote as I know of such families with military approach. they are mostly of Asian background. I wrote a while ago that the local newsagent spent around £8.000 for tutoring his DD. she got it.
doingmybest

Post by doingmybest »

I appreciate that people are sensitive about this but "military campaign" was not meant to be critical, I am sure I would do something similar myself. Neither school has a significant number of Asian pupils, most families are reasonably well-off middle class.
My point really was that the 10 v 0 Tiffin places between these 2 schools isn't a one off, its been constant over the last 10 years. The school with 0 places has better SAT results than the school which averages 10, so why the difference? There are constant complaints about the teaching in school 2, hence probably the introduction of maths/English tutors at year 3.
I don't have any answers I am just giving you the facts as I saw them, which obviously is subjective, in the spirit of sharing information which is what the forum is about.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Sorry I did not mean to offend. :oops: :oops:

I can be touchy about people commenting that only local people should go to the grammar schools - if there was a grammar school in every town then yes. I cannot afford to live in central KUT or Sutton (I wish I could), but why should that limit whether my DC can go to grammar schools.
999 mum wrote:PPS can you name the school so I can send younger children there?
doingmybest wrote:Neither school has a significant number of Asian pupils, most families are reasonably well-off middle class.
So I still couldn't afford it :lol: :lol:
doingmybest wrote: The school with 0 places has better SAT results than the school which averages 10, so why the difference?
So it wouldn't be worth it, even if I could! :? :?
iluvmykids

Post by iluvmykids »

whole discussion on this thread seens to have lost its purpose. Let me start by being POSITIVE and thank people for their valuable suggestions and comments. Thank you 2 out of 3 for your support, my DD has no chance in non such as she is way off 234 and in wallington she is 4 away form cut off, anyways we have started to raise profile of the school we have been offered and she is getting used to the idea that she is going to a school which was graded outstanding by OFSTED in last 2 inspections, so thankyou very much for this suggestion. I wish you nd all others who are trying next year GOOD LUCK. no- ball i dont know if you were referring it to me, but i must tell you here that there is a diffrence in being dissappointed and FRUSTRATED. I am not frustrated in any way as i firmly believe and know that DD would make something VERY GOOD out of her life. Any way everybody is entiteled to their own opinion and i am entiteld to mine and my opinion is the whole system is very HARSH on the children if they donot make it through despite of working hard and being clever.
But thats life ... i suppose..
whathappened

Post by whathappened »

Hi iluvmykids, Do not want to raise anyones hopes up but last year lowest figure in catchment was 351 and the last person offered was 347.4 points, the same as your daughter.I wish you the best of luck should you stay on the waiting list but would like to say you have a great attitude.fingers crossed for you.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

no- ball i dont know if you were referring it to me, but i must tell you here that there is a diffrence in being dissappointed and FRUSTRATED.
Hi,
Just to put your mind at rest - no_ball was responding to Uberyummymummy's post. I think everyone understands your disappointment.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Thank you ks10.
iluvmykids

Post by iluvmykids »

Thanks KS10 for explaination.. and apologies no-ball
probably i did not read it right..
Hope you are all ok
no_ball