Disappointed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Uberyummymummy

Re: Disappointed

Post by Uberyummymummy »

iluvmykids - apologies for going off-topic earlier.

I just want to re-iterate what others have said re waiting lists/appeals etc. and also to say there's a very interesting thread called 24 years later....... in the 11+ exams topic.

I'm sure you did everything you could for your DD and I wish you loads of luck with waiting lists etc.
rollerball71

Post by rollerball71 »

You all make me laugh! :lol: You need to be told some home truths.

You coach your kids to within an inch of their sanity and then you are "disappointed" for your "very bright daughters" failing.

You pay for private education at primary and junior school level and then expect a right of passage into grammar schools because you cannot afford the private school fees.

These grammar schools were implemented to help gifted children from poorer backgrounds to get a better start in life and not for middle class, privately educated children.

Face fact. If you daughter did not get in, she is just not clever enough. You can teach VR till the cows come home but you cannot teach NVR so the children who score highly on the NVR are the truly gifted children. The ones who score high on the VR will spend the rest of their education being coached outside of school just to keep up with the NVR children. No amount of tutoring will make up for a lack of innate Intelligence

PS. I am from a council estate, my daughter goes to a state school. She received no tutoring, no private education and yet she waltzed into Nonsuch! A truly intelligent daughter. Love the smuggest parent on here! :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

rollerball,

welcome,
not sure why you are posting here - your first post is not constructive.

I suspect that many of us have children who got in with minimal or no tuition, we do not boast about as that is probably not a very intelligent thing to do. The forum is designed to be a support for people going through the process of 11 plus / indie exams etc. If you can't be positive and constructive go somewhere else.

Congrats to your DD on getting in to ther new school, I think she will meet many people at school - I trust she will not boast like you.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

rollerball71 wrote: PS. I am from a council estate, my daughter goes to a state school. She received no tutoring, no private education and yet she waltzed into Nonsuch! A truly intelligent daughter. Love the smuggest parent on here! :D
feelin better now? Alot of effort registering just to come on and boast about your dd and council estate. It reminds me of an old sketch on tv where people are talking about their childhoods - one person said
we lived in a one bedroom flat and couldnt afford tea
the next says
well you think thats bad we lived in a tent and had to work as a child
it goes on until someone says
well we lived in a box - eat gravel for breakfast and got up before we went to bed!

rollarball, you must be reading this and thinking what a pointless post, bit like yours really :x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

YAy!!!! It's the four yorkshirmen (had to be says herman - though Mitasol will be here soon remind me that we aren't really yorkshiremen!!) ....

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

You can teach VR till the cows come home but you cannot teach NVR so the children who score highly on the NVR are the truly gifted children. The ones who score high on the VR will spend the rest of their education being coached outside of school just to keep up with the NVR children. No amount of tutoring will make up for a lack of innate Intelligence
DS's NVR scores were quite high after tutoring. Mine have improved too, though not to the same extent.
laretta

Post by laretta »

Rollerball

Goodness, I don't really know where to start.......

Well done to your clever daughter.
Clearly you have done something right to produce such a clever girl, I do wonder however, if her diplomacy skills are as poor as yours, how she will fit in at Nonsuch. Were you never told that it is polite to be a humble winner and a gracious loser.
Gloating is not nice, there may be many parents who read your post who have not been in such a fortunate position.
As for your negative comment regarding parents having sent their children to private school and then expecting a free pass into grammar education, it sounds a little like envy to me. And no I can't afford to send my children to private school either, however I do not begrudge those who for whatever reason can.
Uberyummymummy

Post by Uberyummymummy »

I think posters are being rather mean to Rollerball71. This is a forum, and as such, invariably there will be people with differing opinions. She is entitled to her opinion, and only on this site would a moderator step in to reproach her for posting!

You can either run a forum where you all love each other and concur, or you have a real forum and allow debate.

You call yourselves a support forum; a support in what exactly? A support in helping each other cheat the system?

This forum tells parents which lists of words their DC should learn in order to pass for superselective grammar schools. They tell parents everything they need to know, in order for their DC to learn by rote, in order to pass exams. And, if after all that learning by rote, the DC fail to get in, this forum then helps parents to cheat the Appeals system, by telling them what they should say at appeal.

This forum is all about helping DC get into GS by the back door. It's all about supporting people who want to get their DC into a GS at any cost - and if that involves getting hold of past papers, so be it.

In short, this forum helps to cheat the brightest DC whose parents don't cram them full of elevenplusexams papers, out of a place.

I too have a daughter at Nonsuch and know for a fact that they are having to bringn an English Test because they have a number of DC who can't speak English properly and who were given lists of words to learn in order to pass the exam - which they duly did - and now they can't cope, but the schools is stuck with them.

Those DC, not only shouldn't be there, but have cheated an intelligent DC whose parents didn't come on here, out of a Grammar School place - thanks to this forum.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

uberyummymummy - why are you a registered posting member of this forum then? If its such a dreadful cheating place?
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Face fact. If you daughter did not get in, she is just not clever enough. You can teach VR till the cows come home but you cannot teach NVR so the children who score highly on the NVR are the truly gifted children. The ones who score high on the VR will spend the rest of their education being coached outside of school just to keep up with the NVR children. No amount of tutoring will make up for a lack of innate Intelligence
Rollerball what is a low NVR score BTW