Waiting List for Tiffin

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JGBallard

Waiting List for Tiffin

Post by JGBallard »

Would it say on the email if your child is on waiting list?
supermummy

Re: Waiting List for Tiffin

Post by supermummy »

Hi JG

your child will be placed on the waiting list if they are not allocated a place in the first round. You can contact the school to find out exactly where on the waiting list they are. The only thing to keep in mind is that positions on the waiting list can change depending on whether people reject places or add themselves to the list. If you are quite high up the waiting list it is worth checking regularly for movement.

There are quite a few old waiting list threads on the forum which may give helpful info on movement over the last few years.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think the e-mail only tells you which school your child is allocated to ... everything else waiting lists etc comes later in letters
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

Am also a little confused about how some children can be offered 2 grammar schools...they have to make the choice between them. Some I know have chosen Langley over Tiffin but were offered both..I though they could only be allocated/offered one school???
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

JGBallard

A friend I know wanted Tiffin as 1st choice, William Perkins 2nd and then two in-borough state comps as her 3rd and 4th choices, BUT on her form only had to put Tiffin 1st and the borough comps as 2nd and 3rd. I understoood she applied to William Perkins independently - it did not have to appear on her form at all.

In this way, if her DC passed the Tiffin test, could then also have a place for at William Perkins at the same time...I think :?
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

Thanks Doblinski, but the schools I mentioned are both state grammar rather than one indi and one state.
la boume

Post by la boume »

I think this is very peculiar...Can it be admin error?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

JGBallard wrote:Thanks Doblinski, but the schools I mentioned are both state grammar rather than one indi and one state.
Nobody gets offered 2 schools at the outset - some schools are known to contact the high scorers and invite them to join the waiting list. Then, children on waiting lists get told a place at a school has become available and the parents get a period to decide if they intend to stick or move.

Personally, I'm in favour of the system in Herts where if you gain a place from the waiting list at a higher ranked school you are automatically allocated it and immediately removed from the lower ranking school which is reallocated to the next on the waiting list.

It is torture when people debate the relative merits of two excellent schools when others would give their right teeth for the decision to be made and the waiting list to move again.

Best wishes to all hoping for movement on the waiting lists.

edited to add: right teeth??? :? right eye or eye teeth -sorry feeling a bit yonderly today! :lol:
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

My daughter is 5 points out does anyone have a clue of what her chances are?? We have already accepted a place at an excellent indie ...and will probably stick with it as have decided it offers a lot more than Tiffin..but would still be interesting to see or hear where others might be on list??
mad?

Post by mad? »

On the letter it should say how many girls there are on each score. There are posts elsewhere on this site (sorry can't link them) which tell you how far down the list Tiffin has gone over the past few years. obviously it also depends whereabouts you live but from memory 5 points off would not have got it over the last couple of years...
mad?