How many schools are you/were you trying for?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

menagerie

How many schools are you/were you trying for?

Post by menagerie »

Just realised that if my son tries for all the Surrey grammars, plus one or two indies, that's five or six sets of school exams, running from September through to January. Is that mad?

My plan (as much as there is one!) is to get him very confident in the material and the format of each exam well in advance, so that each time, on the day, he just goes in and does his best, rather than building up tension before one of the exams. I also thought he could have a go at the mocks that are set up at Sutton school, (I think) as that would be a great way to help familiarise him with examinations. He's never sat one before!
vasu

Re: How many schools are you/were you trying for?

Post by vasu »

I stay in Harrow and my CAF form allows me six schools but the twist in the tale is that my ds will be giving exams for more that 10 GS plus Indies. I know many people are going to come with pitchforks and torches after me!!!!!! My ds wanted more but I put my foot down. His best friend is just 5 months older than him but he is a year ahead in school(August born). Now this boy appeared for 11 exams(GS and Indie) and got through all of them :shock: . Now my DS wants to "break his record" :roll:
I want him to concentrate on 3 schools, that's it. So you are not alone.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

No pitchforks Vasu, just sympathy for your DS who may well pass for exams but will not be able to go to the schools if they aren't on the CAF...
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

My son sat 2 exams in oct and 4 in Jan. No problems, issues etc.. But then again, it's always horses for courses..
Luckily though in brummie land, there are 4 or 5 grammar schools in the one consortium, so if you list all of them on your lea form, then you sit just the 1 test.
vasu

Post by vasu »

hermanmunster wrote:No pitchforks Vasu, just sympathy for your DS who may well pass for exams but will not be able to go to the schools if they aren't on the CAF...
He is interested in QE/Wilson/Skinner/Tiffins. Those schools will be on his CAF. Giving exams for 11 schools is just childish banter between friends. I want him to give exams for 4-5 schools. But my ds is one thoes highly competitive kinds. I hope I can convince him to drop the idea of "breaking records" :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

no problems at all over taking lots of exams if the kid wants to do them, just pointless if the result is discarded by the admitting authorities..
vasu

Post by vasu »

I am a bit confused here....why would the Authorities discard the results. Is there something I am doing wrong?
Brownelephant

Post by Brownelephant »

Hi All,

DS1 sat exams for Langley, SGS and Tiffin, we did pay the deposit for him sit the Kingston Grammar exam but he didn't sit it in the end.

DS2 sat exams for same 3 plus hampton boys.

All depends on child as to how many they should/not sit. With both DS's their confidence and marks improved as each exam was taken and this was reflected in their marks.

Hope this information was helpful.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

vasu wrote:I am a bit confused here....why would the Authorities discard the results. Is there something I am doing wrong?

If the school is not on the CAF then they will ignore the results when it comes to allocating the places. In some areas you do not even know the result of the exams, just the school allocated - though I think yuo can usually asle for them later
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

hermanmunster wrote:
vasu wrote:I am a bit confused here....why would the Authorities discard the results. Is there something I am doing wrong?

If the school is not on the CAF then they will ignore the results when it comes to allocating the places. In some areas you do not even know the result of the exams, just the school allocated - though I think yuo can usually asle for them later
QE boys does not even allow child to appear for exam if the school is not in CAF and they clearly say that in prospectus
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now