Surrey 11+ novice - does this sound OK?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

menagerie

Surrey 11+ novice - does this sound OK?

Post by menagerie »

Hi,

My son is summer born (July) and in yr 4, so still only 8 years old. He's bright, in the top set in his class, passionate about learning and reading, but a bit slapdash. We're looking at him sitting the 11+.

Been looking over the forums and am a bit shocked at the level of prep some people do.

My plan is:
  • make sure he's rock solid on all times tables by the end of the summer, before going into yr 5
    then do a couple of Bond papers a week to acquaint him with them, alternating NVR, VR, English and Maths
    lots of maths game playing, maths computer games
    reading aloud with him and to him, being a bit more selective over the books he has (he tends towards non-fiction)
    encouraging him to write more, so he has the stamina for the essay part of the papers.
And, er, that's it.

I really don't want to push him too hard and put him off. Nor do I want to build it up to be such a big thing that he's nervous on the day. But I don't want to coast and not give him the best shot.

Is this enough? Am I overlooking something huge?

He'd be sitting for Sutton, Wallington, Wilson's and Tiffin for entry in 2013.

Thanks so much.
menagerie

Re: Surrey 11+ novice - does this sound OK?

Post by menagerie »

Anyone?
la boume

Post by la boume »

The plan sounds good to me for the time being. My tip is to mark any unknown words and always look for definition. Are you going to DIY or Have you booked a tutor for your DS?
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Thanks for replying La Boume. We've booked a tutor but she won't assess DS until October half term because he's summer born and she only assesses within a small age range. Then she doesn't have a space for him to start with her 1-to-1 until January. I want him to do well in the assessment, so am intending to consolidate maths for now, then do some Bond papers with him over the first half term until the assessment. His vocab is brilliant but his spelling really isn't. His maths is strong but he's too speedy and makes very careless mistakes (decimals in wrong pace etc.)

The tutor has a good reputation and is well respected by children I know who she's tutored.
Brownelephant

Post by Brownelephant »

Hi Menagerie,

I have lots of papers for sale most unused , which I bought for practice for my son for 11+.

Some I bought in duplicate!! some never got around to using, please consider sending me a PM if you wish to buy them. I am selling at reduced prices.

brown elephant
Webbo

Post by Webbo »

menagerie wrote: ...His vocab is brilliant ...
It will have to be - I learnt loads of new words helping my son. I had lived 40+ years without knowing what a sophist was until we got to Bond level 4!

Also, ask him questions regarding the reading he's doing. A lot of boys struggle with the comprehensions, not just because of the vocabulary but the also the technique of reading between the lines to find an answer that isn't immediately obvious.

Good luck!
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Oh.... :shock: Wow Webbo, that is a challenge. I happen to know what a sophist is, but I read English at university. I don't think my son knows. Yet. Maybe I shouldn't be too complacent about the vocab either. Beginning to regret sending them to the very happy but far too laid back non-academic village school. Off to roll up my sleeves and get them sorted out with English Bond papers too!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Relax-I still don't know what a sophist is, I'm sure my sons don't and they are all at grammar school!

The bar is high, but not that high :D

I would agree wholeheartedly about technique with comprehensions and essays though
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

When I look at the online sample test papers, the comprehension always seems to be historic English - Dickens, Shakespeare etc. I'm wondering whether I should familiarise my children with some old fashioned language via the classics, but I really don't want to put them off Shakespeare forever by bombarding them with him before they're ready.

I'm feeling a bit daunted now. I thought 11+ would be quite straight forward, but it's a real challenge.
Cheesedad

Post by Cheesedad »

surreymum wrote:Relax-I still don't know what a sophist is, I'm sure my sons don't and they are all at grammar school!

The bar is high, but not that high :D

I would agree wholeheartedly about technique with comprehensions and essays though
I spent a lot of time going through lots of new words with my daughter and she got in WGS but said not one of the words came up! I think if a well-educated adult doesnt understand them then that's a good guide