Wilson's open evening 2011; were you there?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

vasu

Wilson's open evening 2011; were you there?

Post by vasu »

It was our first open day. We drove all the way from Harrow :shock: School was bigger than expected. Headmaster gave a brilliant speech. Wilson boys were very courteous and helpful. There were droves of people. A very busy and bustling evening. My ds was quite excited about the school but it enthusiasm fizzled out when he heard the School has neither a swimming pool or a swim program :( . But otherwise everything else was an upside. What were your first impression?
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
menagerie

Re: Wilson's open evening 2011; were you there?

Post by menagerie »

Hi Vasu,

in the end my husband went and took our younger son, as DS1 was performing in a show. He came back thrilled with it. But it's Wallington today so he may change his top preference yet again! My husband was very impressed with Wilson's but it won't be top of our list - probably lats on the list of grammars as it's furthest away from us and I'm not impressed by the lack of swimming. But all that chess, drama, music and maths sounds great and my younger son who is passionate about art was very impressed by the art dept.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Vasu if you got in, would you move? Harrow to Wilsons is a crazy commute. We're in a Surrey village not far from Wilsons but with no direct public transport, and traffic is choked during school run times. So train into London and back out on the Waddon line takes an hour, plus 15 mins walk from the station. I dread to think what it would be from Harrow. Don't you have great schools closer to home? (Not putting you off - come and move to leafy Surrey. It's lovely here!)
esh

Post by esh »

It is a brilliant school, the staff and students were friendly and helpful and the lack of swimming facilities would not put me off. Although we live in Sutton, not the nearest and therefore may not be our first choice. I do like the fact that they are testing in Maths and English as this gives the opportunity for children whose parents cannot afford to tutor them.
vasu

Post by vasu »

menagerie wrote:Vasu if you got in, would you move? Harrow to Wilsons is a crazy commute. We're in a Surrey village not far from Wilsons but with no direct public transport, and traffic is choked during school run times. So train into London and back out on the Waddon line takes an hour, plus 15 mins walk from the station. I dread to think what it would be from Harrow. Don't you have great schools closer to home? (Not putting you off - come and move to leafy Surrey. It's lovely here!)
Menagerie, we would move where ever Ds gets in. As Harrow does not have any grammar schools hence we are looking at schools with no catchment criteria. We are looking at schools in Kent too! My hubby is very keen for Kent. Wilson is a brilliant school but it's not "that's it" school for us, do you know what I mean. My Ds is very keen for QE Boys and St Olaves. But open evening would be a big reveal. Wilson is the first school we saw....let the games begin :). Do let me know what you think of Wallington cause we cant make it today.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I will do. I like the sound of Wallington. The only one we saw that none of us was keen on, was Tiffin. It has excellent exam results but I'm not sure much else is excellent, though the new-ish headmistress might change all that.
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Went to Wilson's with DS2, can't lie did not really like the school. Found the Head's talk really positive and that lifted us a bit but I think we were a bit put off as the evening seemed quite chaotic and some of the staff did not appear as if they had 'warmed up' yet! Bit of a disappointment.
By contrast at Wallington, we absolutely loved it!! Head seemed a bit nervous giving his talk but the boys (who also addressed the audience - nice touch) were excellent and emphasised that they had been in the same position as the boys attending the OE.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Hi
Mummy to 3 - I'll start a new Wallington thread so it's easy for families looking at that school to find it.

Thanks for your honest impressions of Wilson's. My husband and DS2 loved Wilson's and thought it had the edge over Wallington. Wish I'd seen it, as I liked Wallington very much indeed. Its warm, family atmosphere would suit my boys so well. But my husband said the same was true of Wilson's, so I'm interested that you didn't think so.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now