Mock results - Feeling quite disheartened

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
surreymum

Re: Mock results - Feeling quite disheartened

Post by surreymum »

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the mocks-they are really only useful for familiarisation with exam technique.
I actually never told my sons their marks-good scores and they would have been complacent, poor scores and they would have been demoralised-just always told them they had done okay but still room for some more work!

One of my sons did very poorly in the maths and we had already realised he lacked confidence in this and worked on his confidence and technique.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Vasu I am just curious as to why you have to make bold your son's scores nor the highest scores? OP knows those already as Sutton PTA puts a list for everyone to see. A bit of humility helps and after all they are just mocks :roll:

Your post just sound rather smug on worried Foxandsot.
Impossible is Nothing.
moved

Post by moved »

I have always found that for very few children do mocks actually indicate success/failure. They are more important in highlighting areas that need work.

Plenty of pupils who have taken my summer courses have scores that were dreadful but they work from that point, take on board the weaknesses, and achieve success in the REAL exam.

Good luck, work on the weak areas and say how great it is that DC has achieved ... so far, but that there is a long way to go and plenty of time.
esh

Post by esh »

My DS got 353 and I am pleased, hope he does well at the actual exams. For those who didn't perform well, do not give up hope!
katel

Post by katel »

Maybe another thread for boasting would be helpful?

Foxandsot, do you know what your dd needs to get to pass? It's only for a few schools in a few areas that these super high scores are necessary.
esh

Post by esh »

Apologies didn't mean to boast - the competition is tough and high score at mocks, does not guarantee a place in a grammar school.
vasu

Post by vasu »

sherry_d wrote:Vasu I am just curious as to why you have to make bold your son's scores nor the highest scores? OP knows those already as Sutton PTA puts a list for everyone to see. A bit of humility helps and after all they are just mocks :roll:

Your post just sound rather smug on worried Foxandsot.

I am sorry if I was sounding smug. My son's scores are no great shakes nor a true reflection of his abilities. I know they are just mocks and we all
understand how much importance to place in them. I was just trying to be open about my son's scores. I am sorry if anyone feels I am boastful. I was just trying to contribute that's all. :|.And by telling the highest score of an unknown child is my way of applauding her brilliant efforts. My son's score are nothing in front of hers. This is not all about cut throat competition, stand back and realise abilities in your child and other's children too. I have taken down my son's scores lest someone believes I am rubbing their faces into it.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I wouldn't worry about it, seems sensitivities are a bit high especially with the final few weeks left prior to state selective exams for some...In most cases, people can differentiate between genuine assistance and boasting type remarks.
katel

Post by katel »

"in most cases, people can differentiate between genuine assistance and boasting type remarks."

Yes, and I know what category posting high scores on a thread started by someone concerned that their child's scores aren't high enough falls into.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

target setting myself!