Wallington County Grammar School - Exam related

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
svg123

Wallington County Grammar School - Exam related

Post by svg123 »

Hi,

I would like to ask via this forum from past/present parents about the format of the exam. I have checked the details and it talks about tests not being NFER but can have some elements of multiple choice.
Can someone pls confirm which components in English are MC? Is it Grammar or elements of comprehension, which is MC?
Many thanks in advance.

Snippet from WCGS website FAQ:

What format will the test take for Year 7 - 2012?

The selection test will consist of an English paper, a Mathematics paper and a Verbal Reasoning paper. All the examination papers are prepared by the school. We do NOT use NFER papers however some elements of the Examination paper maybe multiple choice.

 The English paper
50 minutes duration representing 40% of the final mark.
This comprises a 30 minute comprehension exercise and a 20 minute "essay".
This is not an NFER paper; however some elements of the paper may be multiple choice.

 The Mathematics paper
45 minutes duration representing 40% of the final mark.
Questions are broadly in line with National Curriculum. Pupils must write their answers directly onto the test paper and show all their working.
This is not an NFER paper; however some elements of the paper may be multiple choice.

 The Verbal Reasoning paper
40 minutes duration representing 20% of the final mark.
Boys will write their answers directly onto the question paper. They write words, underline words or circle letters to give their answers.
Ladymuck

Re: Wallington County Grammar School - Exam related

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loopylou

Re: Wallington County Grammar School - Exam related

Post by loopylou »

We received a letter today to confirm our son's time slot for taking the test. The letter states that the format of the test has changed "slightly" this year and all aspects of the exam will have multiple choice questions. Whether that means maths, comprehension and VR will be 100% multiple choice or whether it will be a mix of standard and multiple choice, I don't know.
To be honest, we don't have a tutor and only had a vague idea about previous test formats anyway so I don't think it will make any difference to my son except I feel he's probably better at standard questions. He's seen both but he hasn't fully mastered the art of taking advantage of the process of elimination that having multiple answers offers. He works things out too precisely so wastes time. I guess it comes from being drilled to 'show working out' all the time at school. I am wondering now though if any of the other schools will change anything or have a surprise element. Has anybody else heard anything?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now