Crazy! Tiffin Admission 2014!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaysDarlin

Re: Crazy! Tiffin Admission 2014!!

Post by JaysDarlin »

Yikes, I dont want to panic anyone! We are just doing simple vocab and number work. And if he has school homework, then that takes presedence. He is also quite poor with his writing so I think that will help in school and further help with the vocab.

First time round we had about 9 months to prepare. Second time round we started in Year 5 but I got lax and then had a manic panic a la (2outof3) x100.

This time Im starting earlier to anticipate me going lax. I would love to be able to say, oh, my son took the 11+ and I didnt panic even once.... :lol: Watch this space and lets see if it happens!!

I have no idea about creative writing. Wish everyone the best of luck!
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Ive downloaded my category cards onto Scribd if anyone wants to take a nosey. http://www.scribd.com/Inspirity/collections" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by JaysDarlin on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Wow, I'm impressed and daunted by the amount of work you are planning? Is the norm to get into Tiffin?
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

I dunno if its 'normal'. LOL. I know Ive gotten seriously stressed out leaving it too late. Just watch me get it all wrong again come 2014, look out for the post: 'Where did I go wrong, I started in 2011'
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

stargazer wrote:Are you doing all the 5 listed items every day (except writing) during the week? Meaning that you will do 5 bond papers during Mon -Fri?
EEEEK! I feel like Ive dug a really deep well, and readers will be now discussing 'that crazy woman on the EPE forum who has started prepping her son in year 4'

I'm only doing one item a day! Thats one session of Bonds maths in a week - a session lasts an hour which include procrastrination, chitchats with the brudders, picking up baby is she wants attention, toilet breaks, and oh, can i have a drink? He does what he can, and that's it, when the time's up, its time for my self-care.
Last edited by JaysDarlin on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Don't worry...we know what you mean! I did start bits and pieces with my second son in early year 4 only because he has had sporadic teaching up to now and I do feel he is at a disadvantage ...my DD who is also in year 3 loves those Bond 11 plus books and is filling in the pages that her brothers didn't complete.

I think you should be proud of yourself for thinking it all through and getting it all organised ...very calming. My only question is ....what on earth will you do when all your children are through it ? ...you'll have to tutor or something. :)
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

I think I agree with the 'crazy' statement. I think you could have a year off.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
mad?

Post by mad? »

SunlampVexesEel wrote:I think I agree with the 'crazy' statement. I think you could have a year off.

Regards
SVE
I think in her heart JaysDarlin agrees as well!
mad?
mrsahmed

Post by mrsahmed »

Hi,
I am new to this website, am finding it so useful and interesting. My daughter has just started year 3 so early days, but I know how fast the time goes so want to start a little preparation for what lies ahead!

I think your tips were great, thank you! Just a couple of questions...was just looking at your category cards, can you give suggestions on how I would use them. Also what are the flash cards you mentioned - I know what flash cards are :oops: but am just wondering what you have put on them.

Gosh, you really can tell that I am new to all of this!
Thank you
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Do they really need to know every fruit and every collective noun for animals? Which section might these appear in? I'm afraid I can't bring myself to get my DS to learn those by rote. If he knows them in the course of wide reading, that's great but he'd probably rather go to the dentist than learn them by heart. (Not criticisng your plan JaysD - respect is due :) - just saying I can't see this working for us.)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now