Entrance exams and camera cars and fines

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Thingsbehindthesun

Re: Entrance exams and camera cars and fines

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Queenma I can empathise, but I think the council would expect people to park "correctly" at all times regardless of other situations that may be going on.At my childs primary school there are traffic wardens most days at droping and picking up times.Sometimes there have even been police officers present as well as some people park crazily on the opposite side of the school,bearing in mind there are only two lanes going in opposite directions,inpending traffic flow and at around 8.30 when the school is meant to start there is always a large queue of cars.
Last edited by Thingsbehindthesun on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
;D
QUEENMA

Post by QUEENMA »

Gosh ! I had never imagined this would turn into a local vs non local families issue.
One does not have to live near grammar schools to have problems with parents parking on your driveways etc...I live next to a very popular comprehensive primary school - given its very nature , all children who come to this school should be living within walking distance - however you still get parents who need to bring a car to pick/drop children off - I have first hand experience of people parking insensitively time and again and I will always want the authorities to do something about it - I would apply the same principle to myself as well - if I had parked insensitively / inconsiderately or dangerously - neither of which I had done on the day I mention - if people read my post carefully, you will see that I have mentioned a stuck car on the opposite side of the road - making the road I had parked on literally the only way for cars to move in both directions - Given how busy the day was and our own stress levels, I did what I thought was the most considerate thing to do - I am sure if this area was patrolled by a traffic warden, he/she would have seen the entire picture and understood why the car was parked in the way it was....

Queenma
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

QUEENMA wrote:Gosh ! I had never imagined this would turn into a local vs non local families issue.
I didn't mean to make it into a local/non local situation, it was more about parking.
QUEENMA wrote: Have any of you had a parking fine for a 'technically' parking your car in the wrong manner on the day of the entrance exams across Sutton?
Queenma
You admit that you parked technically wrong - why should you have more leeway because it was the day of the exam?
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

If it is any consolation Sutton council are entirely consistent about sticking to the letter for parking technicalities, including parking on the kerbs-they always ticket for this even if it is clear you are doing it to make a road more accessible. I am afraid the parking attendants routinely target school drop off and collection times as it is money for old rope if you catch a few.

If you will be using a car for the school run in the future you will need to be perpetually vigilant

(FWIW I think Croydon are even more draconian and more likely to tow your car away which costs a fortune :twisted: )
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I think I can see both sides of the argument. I live in between a private school and a very good comprehensive and we are a mile from our local train station which runs right into the centre of London. As you can imagine parking can be a bit of an issue. All the roads around us have an hour's parking restriction each day to stop commuters parking in our streets. However, the roads are very busy during school drop off and pick up times. I am fine with this, the schools and the station were there long before we bought the house and will be there long after we have sold it. My sons travel 13 miles to a grammar on a school bus. Their school is about half a mile from a local hospital. The Council does not provide enough parking within the hospital grounds and charges quite large sums of money in order to do so, which encourages people to look elsewhere for parking. They have recently put further parking restrictions in place all around the hospital and all this has done is push the problem further out and now you cannot get parked outside my sons's school. I only occasionally pick up but find myself driving round and round the block until I see them and then I pull up for them to jump (literally) into the car. A couple of weeks ago I was picking up my sons and one of their friends who plays the guitar. I stopped the car and got out to help him get it in the boot of the car. A traffic warden came along, I apologised for stopping and explained what I was doing and he let me go without issuing a ticket. A camera car would not have been able to assess the situation and would have issued me with a ticket. I think this demonstrates your point perfectly QUEENMA. I'm sorry to hear you got a ticket.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now