Sutton grammar results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

suttonmum

Re: Sutton grammar results

Post by suttonmum »

Replying to one of the above posts. My son attends a Sutton primary and within the people we know (who almost all took all three tests):
3 passed all three (Wilsons, Wallington and Sutton)
1 passed Wilsons & Sutton
2 passed Wallington and Wilsons
1 passed Wallington only
1 passed Wilsons only
1 passed Sutton only
and 4 didn't pass any.
Don't think you can conclude that much from this!
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Thanks suttonmum,

Believe it or not, your post is helpful in that passing or failing does appear to be fairly random. It's quite surprising though really on the basis that each of the exams is based on roughly the same subject matter and you would expect the vast majority of boys to be sitting all three (or possibly two out of three) of the exams. Maybe it really does come down to whether you have a good or bad day on the one day that it really matters :shock:
catcool

Post by catcool »

I think it also depends on how each school apportions the marks for each test. Sutton I believe split the papers and apportion 30% of each paper. Wallington I believe split each paper something like 40. 40.20. Not sure what Wilson's do.
So if your DS is better at one type of test ie VR or English or Maths , then it is likely he will fair better at which ever school apportions the higher mark for that paper.
Hope this makes sense.
medsol

Post by medsol »

Hi all, congrats to all your DS' who have recently had news of passing the SGS exam, and commiserations to all those who didn't. Wishing your DS' the very best of luck in their future schools!

@2outof3 and Scrumptious, I was a bit reluctant to post with my DS' results. Anyway, he was lucky enough to pass. He told me that he found the Sutton Grammar paper easier than Wilson's and Wallington's (but he passed those as well).

In his school, 7 boys, including my Ds, took all 3 tests.
1 passed Wallington's.
5 failed all three.
1 passed all three.

Not sure if you can conclude much from this either!

Best wishes.
anupreet

Post by anupreet »

medsol wrote:Hi all, congrats to all your DS' who have recently had news of passing the SGS exam, and commiserations to all those who didn't. Wishing your DS' the very best of luck in their future schools!

@2outof3 and Scrumptious, I was a bit reluctant to post with my DS' results. Anyway, he was lucky enough to pass. He told me that he found the Sutton Grammar paper easier than Wilson's and Wallington's (but he passed those as well).

In his school, 7 boys, including my Ds, took all 3 tests.
1 passed Wallington's.d his.
5 failed all three.
1 passed all three.

Not sure if you can conclude much from this either!

Yes exactly wot I feel as passing doesn't guarantee a place. My ds even though he cleared all the 3, I am still unsure about him getting a place in one of them.......

Just hoping and praying that he gets his choice of school and whatever that is best for him.

Anu.

Best wishes.
medsol

Post by medsol »

Hi Anu,

I am feeling quite nervous - it feels as if there are no guarantees even though my DS passed all 3 too. Worryingly, I've heard stories from friends that their DS' passed but ended up on the waiting lists... then were not offered places!

All this waiting is doing my head in! Good news is that my DS hasn't even been thinking about it and has been very chirpy since he sat the the last SGS exam! Thank God, as I'd hate to see him worried or stressed over this!

Fingers crossed for March everyone.
jjmumoftwo

Post by jjmumoftwo »

Like others I didn't post results as I understand its very emotive for some to hear. My DS did pass all 3 but I think he found Sutton harder than the other two. He did very well in the Sutton mock too. I know quite a few of his friends took the exams but I am not sure of many results as I haven't asked any Mums (for the reason of not wanting to appear to boast myself or appear nosy).

I do know that at least one of his friends also passed all 3 and another passed Wilsons and Sutton but failed Wallington and he is a really bright boy. I do know of a couple who failed all 3 even though they are bright.

What I will say is, that just because a child does not get into a grammar school does not mean they have failed or that they do not have a bright future ahead with exceptional grades. I understand the stress it can cause, and my son is not guaranteed a place either, but we have said that if he gets into his local comp then he works just as hard there and that he will do well wherever he goes. He is not stressed at all about the result, even though he loved Wilsons. He says if he thinks he is going to his local comp then anything else is a bonus.

My other child is possibly not up to the grammar tests although we will go through the process, its important she knows she gave it a go. Whats important for me is to make her understand that just because she may not get into a grammar school doesn't mean she doesn't have a bright future too.

Grammars may give them a good start but its not the be all and end all of a great education.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now