When and how do you get to know .

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mmb

Re: When and how do you get to know .

Post by mmb »

I did register online but did not receive any email from Tiffin Girls so far... :?
pist

Post by pist »

Me neither...(but not too worried, as have decided dd isn't going whatever the result)
concernedmum6

Post by concernedmum6 »

Yipppppeeeeee
DD has been offered a place at Wallington Girls!

Wowwww!

We started our preparation a bit too late (three months to be precise) - not a chance we were told - most parents have been preparing their DCs for over two years - but it proves it can be done - if the child is bright and willing to work hard!

I am sooooo proud of my angel!

Good luck all!
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Has anyone ooc received results from Tiffin boys or an email re results?
xefina

Post by xefina »

Has anybody been on the receiving end of a Nonsuch rejection letter? My DD was, back in October...what trauma. It was heartbreaking to see her so crestfallen. Happy to say that all ended well: after some advice re tests and intensive test practice subsequently, she performed well in both the Nov. and Jan. rounds of Henrietta Barnett (our first choice-and has accepted a place there). In fact, by Nov 15, she had improved to a 241 score in Tiffins which would also have got her in outright; plus offers from 3 other, very selective private schools.
For us, Nonsuch was a dry-run and DD was pretty clueless about keeping tabs on the clock -so didn't even finish. So complete disaster. But in her case, no permanent harm, just a bruised ego for a few months. Probably some lessons to be learnt re doing timed tests.

What still worries me after these months is the brutal -and anachronistic- language used by the Nonsuch letters: "your daughter is not deemed to be of selective ability". Comparing notes with others, I see that not one of the 5 other grammar/selective independent school we went for directly alludes the child's ability. They just refer to the test score and the competitive nature of the exam (Tiffin pointedly so- spells out cut-off data etc).

It is all very well assuming the child will not see the letter: my daughter intercepted it- against orders. Having seen the Nonsuch postmark she opened and read it. Probably we (as opportunistic N London parents looking for a dry-run) deserved no better. We can now laugh-off this "is not of selective ability" letter- but there may well be many hundreds of Sutton children who have been left traumatised and handicapped long-term by this noxious letter. This seems so unnecessary.
I hope Sutton parents remind the school that the 11+ result may well correlate with ability. But it is depressing to see a throw-back to 1960's terminology. There are now way too few grammars around to accommodate even a small fraction of bright children.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I agree that schools should give the result a bit more sensitively. Perhaps just give the score and the cut-off score and leave the rest for the parents to deduce.

This year, almost all the tests would be within the span of few days and there would be little chance of improving the performance, after the 'dry run'.

You are also highlighting that no matter how bright, the children need practice and familiarization with the test. The bright children would do it in 2 to 4 months; others will take much longer.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
xefina

Post by xefina »

This year, almost all the tests would be within the span of few days and there would be little chance of improving the performance, after the 'dry run'.

You are also highlighting that no matter how bright, the children need practice and familiarization with the test. The bright children would do it in 2 to 4 months; others will take much longer.
For us hopeful Henrietta Barnett school parents, the strategy was a bit different: the VR/NVR part is only used to threshold candidates so we didn't have to take it so seriously: the top 500 go to the second round (around the top third). So these 230-235 cut-offs are not so important...we didn't feel DD needed months of practice. The real selection happens at round 2. I think the real "tie-breaker" becomes the written part, rather than the maths part of round 2. Children who score highly on the NVR/VR (which seem akin to IQ tests) tend to find maths easy and often lean towards the sciences. It is much harder to coach/tutor a child to turn out an interesting essay on a random topic in about 35 minutes (the written test is around one hour, inc comprehension). 2-4 months certainly won't do it!
Now it looks like the Tiffin schools are moving in this direction next year (two rounds with a second maths/ writing/reading exam). If so Tiffin parents will have to adapt fast? The preparation will be closer to those going for Common Entrance (independent schools) which also have similar format. Anyhow, children who are strong readers/innately imaginative would have an edge there... I guess it depends how Tiffin do the test. Do they have the resources/inclination to mark 500 X 2 written exams by hand like HB, rather than the present automated multiple-choice scripts?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now