DD got Tiffin Offer!!!!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
grammarmum

Re: DD got Tiffin Offer!!!!!!

Post by grammarmum »

Just got the letter from Tiffin Girls. The cut off was 238 and DD scored 254.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Tiffin Girls cut-off score/wait list scores from another thread

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=24697" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
bardin

Post by bardin »

munch wrote:
munch wrote:Thanks - no I am in Kingston and applied for Tiffin boys for my son using a paper form,so presumably will have to wait until tomorrow evening when I get back from work!

Pity as my son was keen to know how he got on.
Yes LA letter should be with you tomorrow as sending 1st class. Tiffin School are posting the resuts today but 2nd class.
I wish you the best of luck

Thanks my wife has let me know the Local Authority letter arrived this morning and my son got into Tiffin. Which is nice..

Out of interest he wasn't tutored but did about 20 Saturday mornings at name of tuition centre removed by Sally-Anne where he did sample papers and he found it very useful (particularly around getting used to types of question and the timings)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

bardin wrote:Out of interest he wasn't tutored but did about 20 Saturday mornings at ****** where he did sample papers and he found it very useful (particularly around getting used to types of question and the timings)
I am afraid I have to split hairs here, and I have removed the name of the tuition centre from your post in case what I am going to say causes offence.

If he spent 20 Saturday mornings being babysat while he completed test papers without input from an adult, I am not sure why anyone would want to spend their money on that. You could just as easily achieve that at your own kitchen table.

Alternatively, if he spent 20 Saturday mornings being actively taught, then it was tutoring!

Either way, he has earned his place, so congratulations to him!
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Congratulations everyone. DS's best friend got in, so we are very happy for him.

Any tips for those of us trying next year?
bardin

Post by bardin »

Sally-Anne wrote:
bardin wrote:Out of interest he wasn't tutored but did about 20 Saturday mornings at ****** where he did sample papers and he found it very useful (particularly around getting used to types of question and the timings)
I am afraid I have to split hairs here, and I have removed the name of the tuition centre from your post in case what I am going to say causes offence.

If he spent 20 Saturday mornings being babysat while he completed test papers without input from an adult, I am not sure why anyone would want to spend their money on that. You could just as easily achieve that at your own kitchen table.

Alternatively, if he spent 20 Saturday mornings being actively taught, then it was tutoring!

Either way, he has earned his place, so congratulations to him!

Bit of both really Sally-Anne - a bit like a school lesson rather than what I would call tutoring as there would be up to 20 in the classroom. But I wouldn't split hairs if that = tutoring. He also got papers to take home and work on there. (so kitchen table too)

As he has aspergers one of the main reasons for doing the sessions was to get him used to sitting tests together with a group of students and to have some input into areas like his presentation of answers as we doidn't know how stringent that would be.

Not much 1-1 but a little if they couldn't work something out.

No offence taken at all.
bardin

Post by bardin »

menagerie wrote:Congratulations everyone. DS's best friend got in, so we are very happy for him.

Any tips for those of us trying next year?

Can't speak for everyone but in practicising my son found it difficult to complete in the time given and would sometimes be as much as ten answers short. It took a while to get him used to understanding which groups of questions he would find difficult and he left these to the end. In the exam itself he had about 20 minutes for that difficult group and finished them quite easiliy in the time.

We bought him a new watch which he wanted a couple of weeks before the exam and he was quite chuffed with that and used it during the exam

So my advice would be to have quite a strong focus on the timekeeping (in chunks) and also to do the easy ones first!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

bardin wrote:Bit of both really Sally-Anne - a bit like a school lesson rather than what I would call tutoring as there would be up to 20 in the classroom.
Ah, I see what you mean. Tutoring is not necessarily 1-2-1, or even small groups. If we change "tutoring" to "coaching" you will probably see that they are both the same thing - additional learning and practice, regardless of the group size.
No offence taken at all.
I didn't want to offend the tutoring company either with suggestion of babysitting!
saimaj21

Post by saimaj21 »

Hii

Congrats to all those that got into grammer schools!

just wanted to say there is no shame in having your child tutored/coached at all for the 11+! infact perhaps if nvr/vr was in the national curriculum then perhaps parents wouldnt have to splash money on tutors!

the end result is what matters and if the child gets into a competitive grammer school then yov have sorted them out for life!!! how that is achieved is negligable and overriden by the letter you open which tells you your child has got tiffins!!!!

i acutually think tutoring is necessary for vr/nvr for those kids that are from below average state schools...where basic numeracy and literacy are left far behind (as my own dd is from) let alone vr/nvr which most teachers are not familiar with and certainly doesnt cross the currciulum either!!! now unfortunately not all kids can be those mystical ones that are born with the knowledge of how to combat vr/nvr and therefore a good tutor wouldnt do any harm. and also on a normal day most kids have some form of english/maths tutoring and these subjects are taught at school...so it also makes sense to get yourself a vr/nvr tutor if you feel your child needs one because these subjects are unfamiliar to them

if you think about it most children getting through would have been tutored!
always remeber if the end result is your child is in...who cares whether it was through DIY, a tutor or even both?!