NVR Techniques??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ixora

NVR Techniques??

Post by ixora »

Hi ,

I have only recently started browsing this amazing forum and wanted to thank you all for the great advice new parents like myself are desperate for.
My DS is now in Yr4 and I have started him on VR and NVR Bond books in preparation for Tiffin. He is quite keen in tackling the NVR questions as he sees them as a game, however I am at a loss at how to teach him NVR techniques. Do we actually need to teach them anything or do they get the knack of it by simply practising papers?

Many thanks

Ixora
Reading Mum

Re: NVR Techniques??

Post by Reading Mum »

AE Tuitio do 'how to' workbooks

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... ook-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bardin

Post by bardin »

Going by the experience of my son, who got into Tiffins this time round (with what seems to be quite a high score) I think he found most of it was fairly intuitive and could be worked out from the examples. However the technique of elimination of some of the shapes options I don't think he got initially and similarly with the methodology for dealing with codes. My difficulty in assisting him was that we seem to have an identical mind.

But as has been mentioned elsewhere more eloquently the commonest issue seems to be the technique of dealing with the volume of wqquestions in the time given, and particularly with ensuring that difficult questions are held until the end.

I sat a test paper with him a month or so after he started, and he got 76 out of 80- right and I got 74. The 4 wrong answwer from him I also missed - I put the other two wrong answers onmy part down to brain cell loss from many years of beer and wine!. The point was though that where he went wrong was with questions I also didn't understand. This, and the exam technique tips, is where some external help can be most useful IMHO.
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

Bardin, congrats to your DS! May I ask which external help if any did you use to tackle those specific questions?
ixora

Post by ixora »

Thanks so much Reading mum...I am going to order the books straight away.

Bardin I am delighted that I am not the only one scoring less than their DS while attempting those NVR questions...many a time have I hung my head in disgrace when I got the answer wrong while he cruised effortlessly through to the correct answer!!
bardin

Post by bardin »

Barcelona wrote:Bardin, congrats to your DS! May I ask which external help if any did you use to tackle those specific questions?

Thank you

Send me a personal message (the forum rules don't allow you to post recommendations) and I can say who we used - it was a class set up rather than a single tutor, which may not suit everybody.

What I meant was that if you have the same (genetic) mind set as your child, you may not be able to help much with the ones they get wrong - as you may not understand any bette rthan they do, even when the answer is given. Similarly if there is a type of question you and yyour child struggle with, it would be good to get a 'second opinion - from a tutor or intelligent friend.
ixora

Post by ixora »

Bardin,

I do understand what you mean, will most probably look for a tutor for him next year.

Thanks again for the great advice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now