thank you

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anupreet

Re: thank you

Post by anupreet »

Hi

I am in a slightly confused, I would like to know that the cut off score or point would mean that any child getting higher from the cut off scores would be allocated a seat in the school and below the cut off point would be put in the waiting list.

Just want to understand exactly what cut off means.
mariare

Post by mariare »

Thanks fatbananas. We never discussed in front of him how important the Grammar school entry was for us . He always loved solving the papers and we kept it that way as if he was doing it for fun. Actually, I still can remember that day of the Tiffin exams, when he was almost jumping with joy while going to the center as he was going to get new papers (not the same old papers that he has been seeing for last 7 months!) . Yes, I did the same thing like ninja11- one month prior to the exam, I took off the pressure, just ocassionally giving him papers to check if he got on well. One more thing, there are loads of papers in the market, but I only let him do the papers which are good ones (I got the names from this forum) . Lastly, I also made my child revise the paper after he had completed it. It is very important to carry out this step (if time is available) since it improves the score.
geling

Post by geling »

Hi, mariare

Thanks for sharing it with us! Another question: are either of you and your partner a teacher? How long has your DS prepared for 11 plus exams? At home or with a tutor? thanks. :wink:

Hi, anupreet

You are right: the children above the cutting off score get the offer; below it--on the waiting list. (Tiffin Girl this year's cutting off score is 238; last year, was it 234? )

Best

geling
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I think you make a very important point Mariare, about not discussing grammar school entry in front of DC. Also having proper breaks during holidays I think must be essential so as not to burn out.

When you say you got DC to 'revise' the paper after he completed it, do you mean go over the ones he got wrong, or do you mean learning the questions and answers off by heart? Does that help with learning to recognise question types?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's very helpful to those of us yet to go through the process. You and Ninja and your respective DC have clearly done all the right things!!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
anupreet

Post by anupreet »

Hi, anupreet

You are right: the children above the cutting off score get the offer; below it--on the waiting list. (Tiffin Girl this year's cutting off score is 238; last year, was it 234? )

Best

geling[/quote]

Thanks geling for making it clearer. As my DS got an offer from QE boys barnet as this was our first choice. He did clear tiffin and got above the cut off score but since he was offered his first choice we were never offered any other choice.

A

Anupreet
girlywirly

Post by girlywirly »

WOW Saimaj21.

That sounds really great. Well done to you and ur DS.
I wish i could do it ur way. As my ds is sitting this year
what would be ur last minute recommendation. Please PM me
with any kind of books or papers.
She is on Bond books right now.

Thanks
mariare

Post by mariare »

Hi geling,

None of us is a teacher, but, it's me who has always taught him. He only went to a nearby tuition center for last few weeks, only because we ran out pf papers. But over there the first day, we were told that he didn't need any tuition. The mock tests helped us a lot to know that we were doing fine. He started the preparation since year 5, but did most of it from July, this year.

And fatbananas,
about 'revise' - it meant 1) marking the doubtful questions and 2) going back and looking over them if time was available.

Thanks,
mariare
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks again Mariare.

Should OF COURSE have also said many congratulations to Saimaj21 and and her DC for their spectacular achievement. :D
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mariare

Post by mariare »

Congratulations saimaj21 on your success. I did congratulate all the successful candidates. But it was you who started this thread, so I should've congratulated you first. Sorry again.

Thanks
mariare
:(
saimaj21

Post by saimaj21 »

many congrats to all of you too!:) i hope all kids get their school of choice
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now