thank you

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mariare

Re: thank you

Post by mariare »

The letter from Bucks says highest possible marks 141, my DS got 141 and hence I mentioned 100% as my logic says 141 received out of a highest possible of 141 means 100%, outside of that I really don't know much and probably wouldn't research further as I am just going by what is mentioned in the letter.

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We don't post scores in Bucks as they are meaningless once you reach 121 - you can get 141 from fewer than 80 correct so please don't say your child got 100%.

As a GS teacher, I'd just say that you should be aware that the highest achievers tend not to be the highest scorers...
mariare

Post by mariare »

Sorry if I meant anything else, but I don't recollect saying anything about highest achiever or scorers and I am not a GS teacher, but I DID teach my son and fully understand the difference between the two and also believe that the highest scorers CAN be the highest achievers, it is not something that can be just negated outright.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All the evidence of VR score against performance that we have done shows there is no correlation. I think the highest achieving child I have taught got in on appeal with 117.

It is not just my school that has done this analysis ...
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Guest55 wrote:All the evidence of VR score against performance that we have done shows there is no correlation. I think the highest achieving child I have taught got in on appeal with 117. It is not just my school that has done this analysis ...
So what is the point? There are always exceptions. He may well become a very high-achiever and prove the generalization wrong. May be, we will come back in 5, 7, 10 years and see what happens.

And by the way, what is the defination of high achiever? Results of GCSE, A-levels, Degree, Masters, success in employment/business/fame/Knighthood/Lordship/inner peace, self satisfaction, loving family & friends or what?

The fact right now in front of us is that this boy has done extremely well in the entrance tests and achieved the highest 'standardized score'. Why undermine that.... I would rather celebrate that.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
mariare

Post by mariare »

In the first place I didn't like to get into any discussion specifically about my ds, the intention was entirely just to share our joy and thank this forum. However, things seemed to have taken a different turn lately which was unexpected by me, but let us move on and focus on helping each other out. But at the very last, I must say a heartfelt THANKS !!! to you tiffinboys as the essence of what you say lingers on.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Sorry that was supposed to be a congratulations image. Haven't quite worked out how to post it though.
mad?

Post by mad? »

suzanne wrote:Sorry that was supposed to be a congratulations image. Haven't quite worked out how to post it though.
:D Once you start working out how to post images you will be here forever.. make the most of your free time now whilst you have it! :D
mad?
laretta

Post by laretta »

I posted this on another thread some time ago:

Standardisation

Children's scores are grouped into ages.
All scores collated for children born (lets call this group 1)*Sept to Nov* are averaged out. Same is then done for (group2) * Dec- Feb*, (group 3) *March- May* and (group 4) * June-August*. Once all these group averages are in - it is then easy to identify the advantage of older children as it appears that group 1 generally has a higher average than group 2, group 2 more than group three and so on.
Depending on what the point difference is, it is then decided how much the standardisation will be in order to even out any disadvantage for younger children. People in group 1 will receive no points and the other groups will receive however many points worked out in the averaging.

The points added can vary from cohort to cohort, I have read that it can be as little as 2 points from group 1 to 4 to as much as 10 points. In theory if all the children in group 1 scored the same average as the children in group 4 - no points at all would be added - as it is not a set thing but fluctuates according to scores.

If the standardisation from group 4 to group 1 is 4 points for arguments sake, and the child in group 1 has full marks he/she would receive the top possible standardised score given by the school say 140. The child in group 4 would receive the added 4 marks onto their standardised score up to 140. If there score was originally 138 they would not receive a standardisation of the full 4 points as this would push them to 142 - instead their standardised score would be 140 also.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now