Sutton Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

Many congrats jenny Wren :D :D :D

As you are not leaving us why not pop over to Rehab and fortify yourself for the battle for Tiffin Boys
NKM
MTHEAD

Grammar schools in Sutton Borough

Post by MTHEAD »

Pleased to hear your son got in Sutton Grammar. My son is taking the 11+ at the grammar schools in Sutton Borough. Is there some advice you can give me about the types of questions he can expect in the tests.

Also the format, time and number of questions per test would be helpful.

Your help is much appreciated.
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

MTHEAD

Gosh........I can't quite remember.

No NVR at all. VR, maths and english was a comprehension and an essay. I shall confirm with my son later.

Sutton Grammar's PTA do a Mock 11+ Test from June -October- its open to anyone who wants to have a go. It's a money raising scheme as it costs £15 but it's good prep for those who are thinking of going down the 11+route. Visit their website nearer the day

http://www.suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk/contact.shtml

Jenny :D
MTHEAD

Post by MTHEAD »

Jenny,

Thanks for the quick response. I have already put his name down to sit the Mock tests and I have also visited the various school websites. Unless I missed it, which is highly likely, I couldn't see anywhere about how long each test last and the number of questions per tests.

I even rang the schools and all they would tell me is that the tests consists of VR, English and Maths, and the possible pass mark the child has to achieve which one school said was 326. How they arrive at that fiqure is what I'm trying to understand.

Thanks again for your help.

Mthead
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

Mthead

I'm not sure how long each test is, or how many questions there are on each paper.

Yes, I recall the guide pass mark being 326 last year. In your letter that you will receive about the mock test, it will tell you why they give this mark, I can't remember off hand why. If you email the pta they may shed more light on this.

Does anyone else have any info to add?

Jenny :D
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Dear MTHEAD

Its so annoying because I know I have this info somewhere will keep searching they definitely gave specifics in the prospectus I got. Mike Edwards from the Wirral was collating a list of this type of info ages ago and I added the details but I can't find the thread now.

None of this is any help I know but I can tell you the mocks are a great idea but they do include NVR in them which you don't need for Sutton but you do if you're doing Kingston exam. So when you get the results don't panic if the score is low as that may be the reason. THey do give a full breakdown of results.

Will post again if I find the bumf.

Kaz
MTHEAD

Post by MTHEAD »

Jenny/Kaz,

Thanks again. Any information is useful so please don't getting annoyed if you can't find or recall something. I will do what you suggest and email the PTA.

Is it me or does the Surrey forum seem less active, I would have thought more parents would be willing to participate at this time of year.

Mthead
big H

Post by big H »

I have applied for the mock exam at Sutton too, thinking I was making a positive move to help him deal with the whole experience.. However, my son's coach was less than enthusiastic about the test saying that if they do badly it can rock their confidence and as there is no feed-back, they will not have a clue which areas they need to work on. Has anyone got any thoughts on this ? I am now wondering whether the whole exercise could be a negative one for him. My sons coach also relayed a story regarding a particularly able boy that failed on the mock last year, and she had real problems building his confidence again because he was shattered and disappointed.. (By the way he passed the actual exam with no problems) She suggested that if he does sit it not to tell him the actual scores.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Kaz wrote:Dear MTHEAD

Its so annoying because I know I have this info somewhere will keep searching they definitely gave specifics in the prospectus I got. Mike Edwards from the Wirral was collating a list of this type of info ages ago and I added the details but I can't find the thread now.

Will post again if I find the bumf.

Kaz
Took me thirty minutes. :D

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=127
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

nope, will try again. :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now