Do you really have to be a high level 5?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2outof3

Do you really have to be a high level 5?

Post by 2outof3 »

There's an interesting thread on another website about the level that your DC should be at the end of year 5 to stand a chance of getting into a superselective (specifically Tiffin Girls). Many people on the thread have said that their own children were 5a/5b across the board at the end of year 5 and I'm wondering how common that actually is :shock:

I have to declare a self interest in this as my DS (currently year 5) is nowhere near a 5A/5B in all subjects and unless he makes a huge amount of progress in the next term and a half, is unlikely to be by the end of year 5 :( . So do we keep up with our efforts or jack it all in now as a lost cause? The odd thing though is in his year 4 CATs (which are the only ones I know about) he was on the 98th percentile for numeracy and verbal reasoning - surely that means he has some innate ability even if it's not necessarily showing up in SAT levels yet :?

Would anyone whose DS passed for the Sutton schools this year or in the past be willing to share what level their sons were at the end of year 5? I know that passing doesn't guarantee you a place, but at least passing sets a benchmark to work from. And if everyone else's children were all level 5A then at least I'll get a proper reality check :mrgreen:
mumzone

Re: Do you really have to be a high level 5?

Post by mumzone »

We have just gone through the whole miserable process with my DS with all the Sutton Grammar schools. My DS, at the end of year 5, was 5C and very close to being a 5B in Maths, 5B in reading comprehension and his weakest was 4A in writing. Sutton Grammar school Headmaster advised that boys need to be at least level 4A or 5s at the end of year 5 to stand a chance. My DS, unfortunately, did not pass any, but was 3 points away from the Wilson's pass mark. We did not sit for Tiffin.

As it is not March 1st yet, I do not know which of the other boys in his class who have passed have actually been offered places, but I suspect that it will only be the very top boys who were on all high level 5s at the end of year 5. Hope this helps. It's very tough. Good luck!
mad?

Post by mad? »

mumzone wrote: I do not know which of the other boys in his class who have passed have actually been offered places, but I suspect that it will only be the very top boys who were on all high level 5s at the end of year 5. Hope this helps. It's very tough. Good luck!
It certainly was in my DDs' primary...both times. The head, who had very little interest or involvement with high school transfer (grr!) would always mention, if it came up in discussion, that he thought Tiffin (sorry only one of relevance to us) we looking for the top 2-3%. Clearly that would vary by school/cohort etc but if his advice was sought he always referred to high level 5s as an indicator, as I believe the preps do as well. That said, children who are young in their year group are often progressing in leaps and bounds at this stage of their education so I don't think it helps to make a definitive decision yet, see how he goes, if he enjoys it and makes progress all the better! Good luck.
mad?
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

It would be interesting to see if more people post on here to let us know what their DC's were at the end of Y5.

I always assumed that the high5's would be by the end of Y6!

My DS is currently on 4A+ for writing and I have no idea for maths and reading, though his reading age is 13 and his maths has always been high so I am expecting both of these to be of a similar level or slightly higher that his writing.
I thought that he was doing really well but seemingly not according to the OP?

Please post your DC's levels at the end of Y5 and we can find out for ourselves.
x
Vic x
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

mad? wrote: That said, children who are young in their year group are often progressing in leaps and bounds at this stage of their education so I don't think it helps to make a definitive decision yet, see how he goes, if he enjoys it and makes progress all the better! Good luck.
Totally agree. I have seen children with 3A or 4C at the end of year 4 actually ending year 5 at upper level 5. Also I have seen some children getting into Tiffin even when they were not in the 'top set' in year 5.

However, irrespective of above, test at 'above level 5' doesn't sound fair to me when even level 5 is not expected at the end of year 6.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

tiffinboys wrote:However, irrespective of above, test at 'above level 5' doesn't sound fair to me when even level 5 is not expected at the end of year 6.
I agree with you here.
tiffinboys wrote:I have seen children with 3A or 4C at the end of year 4 actually ending year 5 at upper level 5.
My DS did this, he started Y5 with a 3B in his writing and is currently a 4a+ with half a year (ish) still to go, I think with the right teacher they can come on leaps and bounds.
Vic x
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Primary school said son was a level 4a English at start of Y6 and level 5c Maths - he passed Sutton and Wilsons but as yet we have no idea what that really means....
panicmum

Post by panicmum »

Hi, my DD1 currently Y5 is 5a for reading 5b+ for Maths 5b writing, this was confirmed at the recent parents evening....
stummyuk

Post by stummyuk »

Do your schools mark beyond Level 5 though? Our school does not even prepare them for Level 6, as they just try to get everyone at Level 5 by the end of Year 6.

DS currently in Y5 is 5B in Maths and no score was given for English.
iluvmykids

Post by iluvmykids »

I had to reply to this one.
I went through really bad time last year March. DD was level 5 in both english and Maths at the end of year 5, passed nonsuch and wallington.. but could not get place in any of them...Got through SATS achieved high level 5's... Got level 6A in maths last week in her secondary school assesment test...
So no correlation.. i would say..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now