Tiffin Girls' Admissions - view of a current parent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TiffinGirls

Tiffin Girls' Admissions - view of a current parent

Post by TiffinGirls »

I first used this forum as a newbie under a different name several years ago. I do not wish to out my DD which is why I have changed it. My DD will soon be entering Sixth Form at TGS. It has been a lovely school in many ways and she considers herself lucky to go there.

I am disappointed that what used to be a supportive and pleasant forum has deteriorated into a slanging match about whether TGS will change its admissions criteria to admit more Kingston or local children.

As I see it, TGS is not likely to change from the current criteria of the highest scoring girls at any time in the foreseeable future. The fact that it is now an academy makes it even more remote. Unfortunately however much people moan on this forum, the truth it you cannot force them to change it. I am disappointed that people have resorted to snide and paranoid comments accusing teachers at the school of all sorts of underhand shenanigans. If people want to do something positive about the lack of school places in the area, they should get behind the scheme to build the new school in North Kingston.

I found a lot of very useful advice and support from total strangers all those years ago and I would urge users to be kind and helpful to each other at this very stressful time.

I have always been concerned about the fairness of the tests in favouring those who are tutored and affluent. I really hope the new tests address some of those issues. In future I would like the school to consider a test that it is impossible to tutor for.

Good luck to all for the coming admissions rounds.
Sally-Anne

Re: Tiffin Girls' Admissions - view of a current parent

Post by Sally-Anne »

TiffinGirls wrote:I am disappointed that what used to be a supportive and pleasant forum has deteriorated into a slanging match about whether TGS will change its admissions criteria to admit more Kingston or local children.
As I posted elsewhere whilst Modding, Tiffin provokes the fiercest debate on the Forum and always has done.

Any attempt to rekindle the slanging match I modded there will be firmly stamped upon.

Rational debate and discussion without resorting to swearing, racist slurs, personal abuse and goading will always be welcome.

Sally-Anne
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin Girls' Admissions - view of a current parent

Post by tiffinboys »

I agree with most of what tiffingirls has put forward.

This forum is excellent. Lot of help comes for preparation of 11plus exam.

I also agree with 'untutorable' exams. I was among the first ones to welcome English/maths exams proposed by Tiffins.

At the same, I passionately believe that Kingston children deserve as much fair chance for place in Tiffins as children of some other grammar school area. One may disagree with that.

I did not start slanging match- used only my right of reply. Many times I tried to deflect aggressive questioning or insults by light humour. Those who did should feel bad about it.

Also those who used abusive word and brought race into this discussion should feel bad about it.

Well, at the end, lets us all wish Good luck to those who are preparing for this years exam.

May many of Kingston children get place in Tiffins this year.
May Kingston children get same chances as children of other catchment areas have. Amen
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now