Wallington Grammar for Boys...Opinions?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

Re: Wallington Grammar for Boys...Opinions?

Post by tiffinboys »

We went there too, but bit late so had to hurry up and would agree with 2outof3 about what we saw. Overall a very good school - specially if some one not too keen on Latin and music. On the sports side, excellent in rugby/cricket and loads of extra-curricular activities e.g. drama. Boys looked very polished for their ages and very well balanced too with studies and after-school activities.

Edit: cakemummy has clarified that Latin is taught here.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Tiffinboys, do you mean it's not good for Latin and music? I've not been there yet but that was the reason I liked the look of the school over, say, Sutton Grammar (were one to have the luxury of choice ... :wink: ).
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Hi, fatbananas, to be fair with the WCHS, we were late so didn't see as much as we would have liked. However, from whatever we could see and speak to boys, Latin seemed to be absent, just as the music was minimalist. If these two areas are important to your DC, then it may be worth giving school a call and perhaps, meeting languages and music heads.

The School is definitely worth putting on CAF for academic excellence, outstanding sports opportunities and overall grooming of young boys.

Next we will visit Tiffin on 10th, though we have been there before as well.
cakemummy

Post by cakemummy »

Hi tiffinboys - the school does teach Latin, it's SG which doesn't.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks, cakemummy, for clarifying.
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

2outof3,
yes I went. As you asked, I am going to be absolutely honest.
The positive: Boys really nice and polite. Teachers really nice and engaging. English department great. I can see why it's a school that suits many boys.
The negative (please no-one take offense, this is a strictly personal view): The music department clearly insufficient, not enough for DS in particular I am afraid. Not a single practice room for individual instrumental classes. The orchestral percussion instruments tugged away in cupboards. It confirmed what I suspected from the website and newsletters. DS not remotely interested in the fact that the playing fields are on site. Clearly not an athlete my son. Head's speech the most boring, unimaginative and uninspiring I have heard in all my school scouting months. The content: eighty percent exams results and A's, twenty percent old boys and house flags stuff. In the biology class, to my shock...on the wall, a poster that read: "How to get an A* in Biology". It didn't say "How to learn Biology" or "How to love Biology" or "Why is Biology important to human knowledge". Grades are important but I refuse to make DS believe they are the ultimate aim to his education.
Not for us. But again, I understand it offers some people exactly what they are looking for.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Honesty is always the best policy BusyQueenBee :lol:

I'm sure no-one will take offence at your comments - one school may well be perfect for someone else's child but a complete nightmare for your own!

I must admit that your comment "Head's speech the most boring, unimaginative and uninspiring I have heard in all my school scouting months" made me laugh out loud. I didn't actually go to the speech, probably because we realised once we'd driven all the way there that it wasn't really feasible for DS to travel there independently, but I would normally say that listening to the Head's talk is essential. The head drives the ethos of the school and the way he/she thinks will obviously have a huge impact on the school.

Are you off to see Tiffin tomorrow BusyQueenBee? I think you'll get a better feel about the music there, but you may well struggle to stay awake during the Head's speech again and it's quite a small hall so gets very warm when packed :lol:
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

These are my views and hope no one will be offended.

Over the years, I have learned that though first impressions are important, these are not always the right one. Secondly, though some people may deliver boring speeches (Alistair Darling and John Major comes to mind), they know their stuff and are eventually respected for it.

Ofcourse, as far as the schooling goes, you know best what would suit your child better and I wish that you get that choice.

See you all at Tiffin tomorrow. Just don't put it as your first choice on CAF ( :wink: ).
Plum

Post by Plum »

Just confirmed with DS, Latin was an option for GSCE for his year (Year 8 - they do their options early) and has been taught since the beginning of this year 7.

I did warn you about the head master's public speaking skills! :lol:
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

I think the honest comments are great, BusyQueenBee.

I agree with TB, though on the head.

I would say though from my experience of head's speeches - a great speaker doesn't necessarily make a great headmaster. The skills at running a school and being good with people are very different from public speaking skills. I hear he does a good job.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the poster, either. I don't think Wallington is any more or less pushy about results than the other grammars- and they all love their A* (most have probably hidden their posters on Open Days :) ).

Wallington is one of my favourites from looking round and good reputation for pastoral care. Particularly strong in English, too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now