Wallington Grammar for Boys...Opinions?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BusyQueenBee

Re: Wallington Grammar for Boys...Opinions?

Post by BusyQueenBee »

Saw Tiffin last year. They were dancing capoeira! :D
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Hi BusyQueenBee,

Overall I loved Wallington. It was a really warm school with the most delightful boys I've yet met at an open day. All of them were friendly, unpretentious, genuinely happy and confident and lit up by learning.

We decided not to go for it, as it would have involved a house move which DH was 100% not up for. But my only reservation was the music dept. On open evening no one was performing anything, and when we approached the music teacher, as DS1 is very interested in music, composes his own stuff etc, she showed no interest in him or in showing us round her department and was very stand offish and lacklustre. As a result DS1 put Wallington right at the bottom of his list, as a vibrant music dept is crucial to him.

You may want to look at Tiffin which has a great reputation for music (lovely choir) as well as Wilsons.
la boume

Post by la boume »

8)
Last edited by la boume on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katherine23

Post by Katherine23 »

Plum, what is your son's name? - My son is also in Year 8 at WCGS (Mandeville)
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

Also have a son in Year 8 at WCGS (Ra) going into year 9.

I've found the school excellent for DS, and hope that DS2 will follow him there. The first time I ever heard of the school it was because I came across a lad whose general demeanor really struck me as outstanding and I went to the effort afterwards to find out which school he went to. I very much figured that if my son could come out of school half as 'employable' as that lad then it was job done! That was quite some years ago but I would say from having been into the school several times that it is very much the ethos of the school to instill a very pleasant set of values in their boys. The boys are happy, I'm very pleased with how they have encouraged DS and do not regret our decision (we were lucky - we had a choice) for one moment.

The head is passionate about the school, as are the teachers. He comes across really quite poorly when speaking but don't be deceived. There is a fair amount of change going on at WCGS and he is a calming influence I suspect that is seeing through that period of change in a sensible and systematic manner.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now