Wilson's Open Evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
panicattack

Wilson's Open Evening

Post by panicattack »

What did people think of the school?
Gringo64

Re: Wilson's Open Evening

Post by Gringo64 »

We couldn't make last night, but we went last year and we were impressed with the school.
How did you find it? Did you go to the headmaster's talk?
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Hi, PA & G64. DS 2 has been at this excellent school for 5 yrs & we've not looked back since. There is always something going on to stimulate those inquiring minds. There's loads of after school clubs, as well as CCF, debating, rugby & mock trials which boosts confidence & public speaking. They start off in year 7, as shy, naive young boys with potential & come out as very articulate & well rounded individuals ready to take on anything life throws at them. :)

It's an understatement when I say I'm over the moon with what Wilsons & Wallington have done for my eldest 2, but if I had to choose, Wilsons has the edge as I've seen both sides of the coin first hand.

And for the above reasons & more, no3 has decided to join no2 this September after a successful appeal. He's counting the days or should I say the minutes until he starts :lol:

Oh, & there's more :lol: . They start speaking poaaaassh when they've been there a few years so now I don't understand what no2 is saying anymore.

OK YARR! :lol: 8)
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

Headmaster- v impressive. Looks great for sport, drama etc- very well rounded school. All year 7s go for a bonding trip to Brecon Beacons early on. Strong house system. Seems quite forward-looking as a school.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Wilson's was very impressive. We went to Tiffin and other grammars last year and this year, we went to Wilson's. Comparatively, we think that Wilson's seemed outstanding among the Sutton schools and perhaps, overall a tiny bit better than even Tiffin, but than we are bit partial to Tiffin, being our local school. Sutton Grammar also impressed us a lot as besides, strong academically, children seemed a lot more calm and less pressurised.

Overall, my feel is that all these four grammars are brilliant; other than sports and buildings, there is very little to set them apart. So where one live and the transport links would be an important factor in deciding which one should be the first choice, unless some one has strong inclination towards some particular area e.g. language (Latin is not taught at some schools).

This year, we will re-visit Tiffin, SGS and Wallington.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
stummyuk

Post by stummyuk »

We didn't get a chance to look around the school, as arrived quite late. We did manage to hear the headteacher and was impressed with what he had to say. Can't compare it to SGS and TS yet, as haven't visited the other schools. Like Tiffinboys, we would have to put our preference to TS being the local school.
11plusmom

Post by 11plusmom »

Can anyone suggest any last minute preparation for Wilsons- I am giving the 10+ 11+ (Bond Series) standard versions of English and Maths, are GL assessment papers better?

Any suggestions would be helpful :)
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Yes would do GL assessment papers as well as they are more challenging I think but others may disagree ? I would also make sure he practises lots of timed essay questions. Check on this site for suggested essay titles if you ahven't done so already.

Good luck - it's a fantastic school - definitely the best boys' grammar school I have ever seen in London.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

mynameisbond wrote: it's a fantastic school - definitely the best boys' grammar school I have ever seen in London.
I would have agreed with mynamesbond, if Tiffin was not our local school. We were quite impressed with the school and the kids there.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

mynameisbond wrote:Good luck - it's a fantastic school - definitely the best boys' grammar school I have ever seen in London.

I have a soft spot for the Head as well....swooooon :oops:

And with another 7 years or so at the school, you never know I might hit the jackpot. :lol: :lol:

On a serious note though, the school is outstanding in all aspects, including the Head. :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now