Sutton Boys , wilsons and wallington

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
simihoondle

Sutton Boys , wilsons and wallington

Post by simihoondle »

Wondering if anyone can offer advice? All three boys grammar schools have confirmed on their websites that there will not be any v.r or non v.r in their exams. My ds has been doing all four subjects with his tutor which is fine as he is taught in a group. However during the summer my plan is to concentrate on maths and English only. The tutor (she has a lot of experience) has told me that the grammar schools can change the plan last minute and may decide to include v.r and non v.r. She says they have done this in the past. I have had an email confirmation from sutton grammar confirming there will be no vr or non vr questions.

Does anyone think there may be a chance of this happening?

Thanks
Amoda

Re: Sutton Boys , wilsons and wallington

Post by Amoda »

Assuming your DS is in year 5 and therefore sitting the tests in September & October 2013, I do not think the schools can make changes so close to the test date.

If, however, your DS is in year 4, then the schools can make changes to tests which will be taken in September & October 2014. However, I think there is a deadline by which this needs to be done by but someone who is more in the know should be able to confirm.

If cutting down the number of subjects means less money for the tutor, I'd be wary about his/ her motives behind their comment, especially if your DS is in year 5.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Agree with Amoda.

And if your DC is sitting 2013 tests, than your tutor is either totally unaware of the admission rules or at worse, telling lies. In either scenario, stay away from her advise and do what your instinct tells you to do.
simihoondle

Post by simihoondle »

Hi, thanks both for your reply. I don't think the tutor has any hidden agenda, she is very reputable and she teaches groups in all four subjects which we knew from the start when we started with her, there is a set price for the lessons, fee is not based on number of subjects taught. She has also said that I should concentrate on maths and english but just to be aware of the non vr and vr cropping up. DS is yr 5 so I agree with you both that it would be too late for schools to change the plan. Thanks for the advice I will stick to maths and english (hands full even with just those!). Fingers crossed!
laretta

Post by laretta »

Just a thought that the maths paper could contain some vr questions, such as john has 54 yellow sweets, Tom has 27 blue sweets ...
You catch my drift, much of vr is mathematically based with more 'wordy' questions. They may also throw in some Nvr in the guise of shapes.
However they would not be allowed to employ a complete vr of Nvr paper at this point.
Good luck